This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1788 / 53°10'43"N
Longitude: -4.0591 / 4°3'32"W
OS Eastings: 262486
OS Northings: 366616
OS Grid: SH624666
Mapcode National: GBR 5S.3QH5
Mapcode Global: WH54G.MC9D
Entry Name: The Douglas Arms Hotel including railings
Listing Date: 25 April 1997
Last Amended: 25 April 1997
Source ID: 18395
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Situated just E of centre of Bethesda, fronting onto A 5.
Built-Up Area: Bethesda
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Early C19 coaching inn presumably built c1820-30 to serve Thomas Telford's new turnpike road to Holyhead, opened cl820.
Whitewashed roughcast with slate roofs, and roughcast 4-shaft corniced end stacks. Slate coping. Three-storey, three-window range, two parallel ranges with large hipped square roof lantern over centre valley, each side with row of four 6-pane windows. Facade has marginal glazing bars to second and ground floor sashes, 4-pane sashes to first floor, and windows are graded in size. Centre broad flush-panelled double 2-panel doors with overlight in timber Roman Doric porch with entablature and cornice. Pilaster responds. NW end wall unpainted roughcast. Ground floor door and 12-pane sash each floor above, all to right of left gable. SE gable is similar but door is raised up due to slope of ground. To each side of porch is spearhead iron railing on slate coping.
Inner half-glazed door with sidelights and overlight. 4-panel doors, simple cornices, stick baluster dog-leg stair to right of hall.
A good example of a substantial late Georgian coaching inn.
Other nearby listed buildings