This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7129 / 51°42'46"N
Longitude: -4.7019 / 4°42'6"W
OS Eastings: 213436
OS Northings: 205028
OS Grid: SN134050
Mapcode National: GBR GF.53S3
Mapcode Global: VH2PL.G65R
Plus Code: 9C3QP77X+56
Entry Name: Coedrath House
Listing Date: 7 May 1997
Last Amended: 7 May 1997
Source ID: 18437
Building Class: Domestic
Location: On high ground to the NW of the village of Saundersfoot. The house is set back to the W of Church Terrace, behind a later house named Oaktree Cottage. Its grounds to the N and W have been developed wi
Locality: Saundersfoot Village
Built-Up Area: Saundersfoot
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Coedrath (Coytrath, etc.) is a name traceable back to the C14, and was the name of the locality before it came to be called Saundersfoot. Coedrath house is said to be on the site of older ruins, but nothing positive remains. The house was built in the mid-C19, and is a pencilled addition to the 1859 map. It is included on the 1887 OS map. It was a manager's or director's house belonging to the Harbour Company. Occupants at the turn of the century were Mr Pudsey Dawson and, later, Mr Harvey.
Before 1985 the house was converted into the eight-bedroom Coedrath Hotel and Country Club, with interior alterations. Unoccupied at time of inspection (June 1996).
Large two-storey Victorian-Tudor house in local sandstone. Snecked masonry courses, in rock-faced finish. Quoins and other dressings are in gritstone with a pecked finish with chiselled margins. Roof of large slates. Crested ridge tiles, much broken, some replaced by plain tiles. Moderate eaves and verge overhangs. Tall chimneys with deep capping courses and extremely large chimney pots (about 2 m in height) in Tudor style. Plain bargeboards. One finial survives at the front with a cast-iron cross.
The main front is that to the E facing the garden and with the view to the harbour. It is of two gabled parts, the left slightly advanced. Two-storey full-height porch against the left gable, with string-course and coped gable. The door is in a glazed frame with side lights and four trefoiled top-lights. Four slate steps lead up to the door. The window above is of three mullions with a transom and trefoil-headed lights. Single windows with trefoil heads at sides. Slate sills. The windows of the right-hand part are simpler, the lower having two stone mullions and a Tudor label mould. The windows generally are in plate glass without glazing bars.
On the N side entrance elevation there are two prominent chimneys. Recessed centre-section with a door and a window above and corbelled lintel at the top. Above eaves is a large gable-dormer with a side extension. One lower window has a Tudor label moulding.
Listed as an important house connected with the history of the harbour and a good example of mid-Victorian Tudor domestic architecture.
Other nearby listed buildings