This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.719 / 51°43'8"N
Longitude: -4.707 / 4°42'25"W
OS Eastings: 213110
OS Northings: 205717
OS Grid: SN131057
Mapcode National: GBR GF.4VSS
Mapcode Global: VH2PL.C2G2
Plus Code: 9C3QP79V+H6
Entry Name: Netherwood
Listing Date: 7 May 1997
Last Amended: 7 May 1997
Source ID: 18442
Building Class: Domestic
Location: In private grounds to the S of the B4316, about 1 km NW of Saundersfoot village.
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Built c.1840. It is not marked on the Tithe Plan of 1839, but it is on a map drawn shortly after this date. It appears, complete with the veranda on its E side, in a view taken from Hean Castle by H E Potter also believed to be of about this date. In 1870 Allen's Guidebook described it as a modern mansion, 'prettily situate', the residence of Col. Stokes; it was the Stokes family who had been owners of Hean Castle until 1863. Following Col. Stokes, the house was occupied by a succession of military gentlemen, usually Indian Army officers. In 1922 the property was reunited with the Hean Castle estate. The house is now Netherwood School, established here in 1946. The veranda was destroyed in a gale in 1952, and a chimney near the SW corner has been removed at some recent date.
The main front faces the gardens to the E: a symmetrical three-window elevation of two storeys, rendered and painted, with slight pilaster strips worked in the render at the corners. Roof of slate with lead-rolled hips and ridge. Tall chimneys at N and S near to the front. The upper windows are of sash type with 12 panes; they have slightly projecting Tudor label moulds worked in the render and slate sills. The sashes have horns and may not be original. The lower windows, formerly within the veranda, are French windows. They have similar label moulds. The mark of the lost veranda is visible.
The N front is a range of four windows including a blind window to each storey at the chimney position at left. There is a corresponding blind window at a chimney position on the S elevation. There is a later porch at left of centre in the N side, at the main entrance to the house. The upper sash windows are of 12 panes and the lower ones of 16 panes, all with hornless sashes, thin glazing bars, and slightly projecting Tudor label moulds. At the right of the N elevation is a service extension with a lower roof level. It has a single 11-pane upper sash window which breaks the eaves and has a rounded head within a gable. The two lower windows are of sash type with nine panes. There is a third ground storey window of smaller size in a lean-to further extension at right.
Original layout of the house remains; hallway to staircase at the S side.
Listed as a gentleman's residence of c.1840 in late Georgian style in a fine landscaped situation.
Other nearby listed buildings