This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7693 / 51°46'9"N
Longitude: -4.1003 / 4°6'0"W
OS Eastings: 255174
OS Northings: 209936
OS Grid: SN551099
Mapcode National: GBR DQ.ZRLC
Mapcode Global: VH4JF.WS6H
Plus Code: 9C3QQV9X+PV
Entry Name: Llwyd Coed Fawr Farmhouse
Listing Date: 29 May 1997
Last Amended: 12 January 1999
Source ID: 18469
Building Class: Domestic
Location: About 2km north-east of Llannon, to south of crossroads on minor road from Llannon to Pentwyn.
Community: Llannon (Llan-non)
Locality: Llwyd Coed Fawr Farm
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Llwyd Coed consists, as seen from the farmyard, of three blocks: a left block now in advanced ruination; a centre block with a gable to the front and containing the main entrance; and a right block which carries a date stone marked "D D 1774". The house is the centrepiece of an informally planned three-sided farmyard.
The property was at first part of the Stepney estate, and is mentioned in a deed of 1621. It has been suggested that by the late C18 this was two houses. There is documentary evidence for the purchase of Llwyd Coed by Rhys Thomas for his son David, c.1752. The house of David Thomas appears to be the ruined block, together probably with the advancing gabled middle block as its crosswing. Its chimneys, at least, have been described as Georgian (now concealed beneath ivy). The right block, with its inscription and its higher floor level, is perhaps the separate house of a tenant, added in 1774; the tenant was, according to the family tradition of the present owners, their ancestor David Davies. It may be, rather, that the right unit is only a wing added by Davies when, upon the departure of David Thomas, he occupied the whole.
The disuse and collapse of the left block of the house occurred in the late C20.
Two-storey stone farmhouse with slate roofs and stone chimneys, in three blocks. Substantial traces remain of the former render and limewash.
The left block in ruins: two rooms, with a chimney in the left gable. Any windows have been walled up. The chimney has a wide fireplace and a stone-set boiler; above is a bedroom fireplace. At the rear is a central straight joint and a wide opening under a well-formed arch, mostly walled up.
The gabled advancing wing is of two windows width, with a central kitchen chimney. Upstairs the left window is walled up, the right is reduced in size. Downstairs there is a modern replacement window at left, and the main door with a brick porch to the right. This was a crosswing, which old photographs show was integral with the ruined range at left. The left roof slope is of shallower pitch than the right. In the left side elevation, where the ruined part was attached, two modern windows have been formed upstairs. There is a blocked communicating doorway. Rubble stone wall encloses a small front yard; paving slabs from gate to porch.
The right block is also 2-storey, originally a 4-window range with end chimneys to left and right. The second and fourth first-floor windows have been walled up. The third position below is the doorway, to right of centre. Sash glazing, two 12-pane windows survive, the three others replaced as four-pane windows. The datestone is central, at high level. Modern door and gabled open-fronted porch (1935). The right gable return has small attic window. This block has a later rubble stone outshut at rear with windows in the side. At front is a rubble stone garden wall and hedge enclosing the garden.
The ruined left block contains regular small voids in the stonework upstairs, where inspectable, suggestive of it having been panelled. Large fireplace in the end-chimney at the gable end; water boiler at left.
The central block has a partitioned corridor to the right and a large kitchen. The fireplace is covered but is known to contain a large opening at its left side, probably for drying firewood or salt. The roof is inaccessible but said to be C18 with earlier origins.
The right block has a C19 stair adjacent to the central block; classicising fireplaces; fielded panelled doors to upper floor and to one door downstairs (others faced in hardboard may be similar). Roof structure inaccessible but said to be C18 where visible.
Listed as a substantial C18 property of complex original form, the surviving elements now forming a farmstead of vernacular character.
Other nearby listed buildings