History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

War Memorial, Church of St Tysilio

A Grade II Listed Building in Menai Bridge, Isle of Anglesey

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2229 / 53°13'22"N

Longitude: -4.1717 / 4°10'18"W

OS Eastings: 255108

OS Northings: 371737

OS Grid: SH551717

Mapcode National: GBR 5N.0T8T

Mapcode Global: WH546.W8M3

Entry Name: War Memorial, Church of St Tysilio

Listing Date: 18 July 1997

Last Amended: 18 July 1997

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 18557

Building Class: Commemorative

Location: Set on the top of a prominant outcrop within the churchyard of the Church of St. Tysilio, Church Island.

County: Isle of Anglesey

Town: Menai Bridge

Community: Menai Bridge (Porthaethwy)

Community: Menai Bridge

Locality: Church Island

Built-Up Area: Menai Bridge

Traditional County: Anglesey

Find accommodation in
Menai Bridge

History

A war memorial designed by Harold Hughes (1864-1940), an important local architect and amateur archaeologist.

Exterior

A large polished granite Celtic cross war memorial. The head of the cross has a circular surround, with rounded arms extending outwards and the inner cross arms divided by 3-sided celtic knots. Column with chamfered angles and tapering sides with recessed carved panels with inscriptions: "To the glory of God and in memory of those who fell in the war 1914-1918, their name liveth for evermore", and "1939-45", below. The column is set on a square plinth with rounded sides and a raking base inscribed with names.

Reasons for Listing

Included as a good example of a war memorial in the Celtic revival style, forming a prominent landmark of local historic importance and a group with St. Tysilio's Church.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II* Church of St. Tysilio
    Located towards the south end of Church Island to the west of Menai Bridge. The island is reached by a causeway and the churchyard is enclosed by a low rubble wall with wrought iron gates at the entr
  • II Craig yr Halen
    Located in grounds at the lower end of Menai Bridge off Beach Road, SW of the Anglesey Arms Hotel
  • II Milestone, Mona Road
    Located on the east side of Mona Road, being the first milestone on the Anglesey side of the A5. Abutting the wall to the north of the gateway to St. Mary's Church.
  • II St. Mary's Church
    In an elevated position on a rocky outcrop above the town, set back from the corner of Telford Road and Mona Road, N of the Menai Suspension Bridge.
  • II Bryn Lwyd
    In an elevated position set above the NW side of Bridge Street opposite the English Presbyterian Chapel.
  • II Carreg Lwyd
    Set back from SW side of Pentraeth Road, just N of the junction with Hill Street.
  • II New Street
    New Street is between the main road through the settlement and the shore line, NE of the suspension bridge on the west side of a rocky outcrop.
  • II New Street
    New Street is between the main road through the settlement and the shore line, NE of the suspension bridge on the west side of a rocky outcrop.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.