This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6255 / 51°37'31"N
Longitude: -3.5865 / 3°35'11"W
OS Eastings: 290274
OS Northings: 193040
OS Grid: SS902930
Mapcode National: GBR HD.8SNV
Mapcode Global: VH5GY.SD9S
Entry Name: Bethania Capel y Bedyddwyr (Welsh Baptist Chapel)
Listing Date: 30 July 1997
Last Amended: 30 July 1997
Source ID: 18627
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated near the centre of Blaengarw, the head of the Garw Valley, on rising ground just E of The Strand.
Community: Garw Valley (Cwm Garw)
Community: Garw Valley
Built-Up Area: Pontycymer
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Founded 1890 rebuilt 1912 by W Beddoe Rees. No longer in use as a chapel. Very similar to Mount Calvary Manselton Swansea by same architect.
In late Gothic style. Two storeys high at front and 3 at back. Built of coursed rock-faced sandstone with generous ashlar dressings, rendered to side and rear with some yellow brick dressings; a Welsh slate roof, terracotta ridge tiles and ridge ventilator. The two storey gable end facade comprises a central bay flanked by two slightly recessed 5 sided two storey bays with hipped roofs which abut the main chapel at eaves level. Central bay has attached polygonal embattled turrets to apex height on each corner enriched by moulded string courses. It is dominated by a large and wide first storey Perpendicular style window of 5 lights with cusped tracery. Above is an inscription band and plaque with narrow light in apex. Ground floor has main entrance doorway with multiple mouldings to pointed arch running out into plain jambs; the arch is flanked by a shallow canopywork panel of 3 blind arcades and one light on each side; arched double boarded door with decorative hinges. Below the sill band are dedication stones with a smaller row above plinth. Each side bay has similar though narrower arched entrance, with steps up to right, but the doors are square headed with enriched tympanums. Above are 3 light square headed staircase windows with decorative heads under overhanging eaves, with similar on the other frontages, similarly glazed to central bay. The turrets abut the pavement but the 3 shallow gaps formed by each bay are separated from it by iron railings and gates. Side elevation of 5 bays has quarry glazing similar to front windows; some are broken or blocked.
Chapel is closed and due for conversion to community centre. Interior fitting partly survives though in neglected and in some cases damaged or unsafe condition. Curved ceiling with 4 roses, moulded ribs, corbels and cornice; gallery supported on 7 cast iron columns, high rear gallery, fronts removed; curved pews, set fawr and pulpit removed; moulded reredos arch to recess, organ dismantled. Basement hall has an unusual aisled layout with supporting cast iron columns.
Listed especially for its fine frontage; the chapel which it much resembles in Swansea is also listed.
Other nearby listed buildings