This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7065 / 51°42'23"N
Longitude: -3.0142 / 3°0'50"W
OS Eastings: 330018
OS Northings: 201348
OS Grid: SO300013
Mapcode National: GBR J5.3LK2
Mapcode Global: VH79S.PCWN
Plus Code: 9C3RPX4P+H8
Entry Name: Barn at Ty-poeth Farm
Listing Date: 7 August 1997
Last Amended: 7 August 1997
Source ID: 18739
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: On the west bank of the Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal about 500m north of the Usk Road at Bridge 54, and immediately to the east of Ty-poeth Farmhouse.
Community: New Inn
Community: New Inn
Locality: Llanvihangel Pontymoel
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
A combination farm building dating probably from the mid C19 and showing the introduction of more intensive farming methods to the Pontypool Park estate. It probably dates from soon after the purchase of the farm by Capel Hanbury Leigh.
Painted rubble stone with red brick dressings and Welsh slate roofs, some of which have been renewed. Large T-shaped range with the cross piece running east/west and the foot projecting on the north side. The cross piece is in two sections with the west end the threshing barn with opposing doors under shallow segmental heads with diamond brick vents on the north side and large arched red brick vents on the south side. The roof is hipped at the west end where it abuts the farmhouse (not included in the listing). To the east of this section is a two storey building under its own hipped roof. Each face of the building has tall arched recesses outlined in red brick. Some of these contain segmental headed windows on each floor. The foot of the T is a cowhouse, also with a through entry with wooden doors under segmental heads. These are immediately behind where the foot joins the cross piece. There are several openings on the east side, but only a small taking-in door on the west side.
Interior not available for inspection at the time of resurvey (December 1996).
Included as a good and seemingly little altered example of a Victorian combination farm building with hay and threshing barn as well as cow house. It is a rarity in the Pontypool area and serves to demonstrate the increasing profitability of the Pontypool Park estate under the ownership of Capel Hanbury Leigh (1795-1861).
Other nearby listed buildings