This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7057 / 51°42'20"N
Longitude: -3.0083 / 3°0'29"W
OS Eastings: 330420
OS Northings: 201257
OS Grid: SO304012
Mapcode National: GBR J5.3N0X
Mapcode Global: VH79S.SDZ7
Plus Code: 9C3RPX4R+7M
Entry Name: Court Farmhouse
Listing Date: 7 August 1997
Last Amended: 7 August 1997
Source ID: 18747
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Immediately on the north side of the junction of Usk Road and the A4042 and approached by a drive beside The Horse and Jockey P.H.
Community: New Inn
Community: New Inn
Locality: Llanvihangel Pontymoel
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
This began as a C17 farmhouse although C19 and C20 alterations have disguised its origins. It was a two bay possibly cross passage house with one stack, with an additional bay added on the east end not long after; and there is also a possible addition of c2.5m on the west end which is entered separately from the rest of the house. The putative cross passage led to a pantry/scullery in an outshut. The outshut was probably added at the same time as the east extension and completed the physical connection of the originally free-standing barn to the farmhouse. The house was refurbished following the purchase of the farm by the Pontypool Park estate in the early C19 during the ownership of Capel Hanbury Leigh (1795-1861).
Plastered and painted, probably over rubble stone, stone tiles to front roof, Welsh slate to rear with artificial slates to outshut. Rectangular two cell block extended at both ends and with an outshut in centre of rear. Two storeys and attics. Three window front with three over three Victorian sashes except for the central hall window on the ground floor which is four over four. All the windows have the dripmoulds characteristic of the early/mid C19 alterations on the Pontypool Park estate. The door is to the left of the central window. This is a C17 nailed plank door with strap hinges in a cranked head and with a cranked hood on modillions. Above this is a small pentice supported on four beam ends with modillions above, hipped stone tile roof. Above the pentice is a gabled full dormer in the same plane as the wall; this also has a three over three sash with hoodmould. Three stacks on the ridge of which the end ones are modern red brick and the central one stone. The right gable end is plain except for the added stack. The left gable end has a first floor entry up steps, hood over, garret light above.
The rear elevation has a small paned casement under an oak lintel and a porch to the cross passage entry. Largely modernised outshut to the left of this with large new red brick stack.
Most of the C17 features have been removed or hidden by later changes. C19 features are insignificant or have been removed. Ceiling beams with bar-and-scroll stops in the centre part. No surviving fireplaces of interest. Surviving timber winding stair through both floors of which the upper flight survives in much more authentic character complete with plank door with cranked head and iron strap hinges. A-frame roof halved and pegged at the apex and with a slight diagonally set ridge piece, the most easterly section is probably rather later as a slightly lower ridge line is evident. The most westerly end of the range has a room reached by an external stair, part of the floor of the upper room has been removed.
Included as an interesting example of a C17 farmhouse improved in the C19, and for group value with the other listed buildings at this especially well preserved farm.
Other nearby listed buildings