This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6842 / 51°41'3"N
Longitude: -3.001 / 3°0'3"W
OS Eastings: 330896
OS Northings: 198854
OS Grid: ST308988
Mapcode National: GBR J5.53VW
Mapcode Global: VH79S.XXWS
Entry Name: Church Farmhouse
Listing Date: 7 August 1997
Last Amended: 7 August 1997
Source ID: 18746
Building Class: Domestic
Location: To the east of New Inn village on the lane leading to the church of St Mary, Panteg.
Community: New Inn
Community: New Inn
Built-Up Area: Pontypool
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
An apparently C17 farmhouse which was heightened and altered in the early/mid C19 (1830-50) by the Pontypool Park estate under the ownership of Capel Hanbury Leigh.
Painted rubble with Welsh slate roofs. An L-shaped range with a small additional mid C19 wing attached at right angles to the end of the toe of the L. The main range with the entrance elevation appears to be a C17 three cell baffle entry house with two heated rooms. Two storeys, the upper floor may be a heightening from a C17 one-and-a-half storey house which is the common type in the area. Three window front with two 3 light mullion and transom small paned casements on the ground floor with the centre window a two light one as are the three upper floor ones, the right hand one of which has a transom and is taller. The ground floor windows have dripmoulds, the upper floor ones have timber lintels. The gabled porch between the centre and right hand window has imposts to a slightly pointed arch and a slate roof. Pontypool Park coat of arms above the arch. The doorway is set against the chimney in the baffle entry position. Two ridge stacks, both red brick, one behind the doorway to heat the kitchen and one at the right hand end to heat the parlour. The left hand end has no chimney to reveal an unheated dairy. The rear wing has similar windows, a three light with transom on the ground floor and two light ones above, with transom on the left. Another red brick stack on the ridge. The later wing has small paned casements with elliptical heads.
The interior was not available for inspection at the time of resurvey (December 1996).
Included as a good example of a probably C17 farmhouse which was altered and refurbished by the Pontypool Park estate in 1830-50 and not altered externally since.
Other nearby listed buildings