This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.0979 / 53°5'52"N
Longitude: -3.7895 / 3°47'22"W
OS Eastings: 280279
OS Northings: 357130
OS Grid: SH802571
Mapcode National: GBR 64.8XMS
Mapcode Global: WH663.RDPF
Entry Name: Agricultural Range at Rhyd-y-Creuau
Listing Date: 11 August 1997
Last Amended: 11 August 1997
Source ID: 18780
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: Located 100m SW of Rhyd-y-Creuau farmhouse, and representing the southern-most range of buildings within the farmyard.
Community: Bro Garmon
Community: Bro Garmon
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Agricultural range of more than one period. The earliest section is a six bay barn to the centre, one truss of which bears the carved date 1751; the three western bays of this appear to have been converted into a separate stable block later in the C18, at which period a 3-bay carthouse and granary block was added to the E. A further low byre section adjoins beyond the stables. It is probable that the later C18 additions and alterations are contemporary with a large 7-bay barn to the N, dated 1788.
Long agricultural range of four basic sections. The primary barn, to the centre, is of rubble on boulder foundations and has a medium-pitched slate roof (the S pitch undergoing reslating at the time of inspection - 2/97). Large open entrance to third bay with its opposing entrance, to the S side walled up; exposed timber lintels. To the L, a ventilation slit with crude projecting dripstone. To the R of the entrance, the remaining 3 bays of the primary barn, converted to stable use. This is symmetrical, with a central segmentally-headed entrance with 4-pane rectangular overlight; flanking windows with segmental heads and C20 wooden cross-windows. R of the stable section a later, single-storey, 4-bay byre range of rubble with corrugated asbestos roof. A later mounting block partly obscures a window opening at L; fragmentary 6-pane glazing. To the R a boarded stable door with similar window beyond and a further boarded door at the far end. Adjoining to the E of the barn range, a 2-storey, 3-bay carthouse block with former granary above. Rubble construction with rubble gable parapet to the E; old slated roof with pronounced undulation. 3 segmental cart entrances with roughly-dressed voussoirs; 3 square windows above with pegged wooden frames and shutters (some missing). External stone-stepped and rubble-parapetted access to upper entrance at E gable end; boarded door with exposed timber lintel.
Pegged tie-beam and raking strut trusses to the primary barn, with contemporary purlins; some strengthening and replacement. The eastern truss of the third bay bears the carved date 1751, which can be accepted as the construction date. A later C18 three-quarter height rubble wall divides the three eastern bays from the converted western bays.
Listed for its special interest as a mid-late C18 dated vernacular agricultural complex.
Other nearby listed buildings