This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8906 / 51°53'26"N
Longitude: -4.7418 / 4°44'30"W
OS Eastings: 211424
OS Northings: 224888
OS Grid: SN114248
Mapcode National: GBR CW.R2GN
Mapcode Global: VH2NL.RRK1
Plus Code: 9C3QV7R5+67
Entry Name: Rhydwilym Baptist Chapel
Listing Date: 18 September 1997
Last Amended: 10 February 2004
Source ID: 18872
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: To S of River Cleddau, on minor road, about half way between Llandissilio and Llangolman Common.
Community: Clynderwen (Clunderwen)
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
There has been a Baptist presence at Rhydwilym since the 1660s, and a chapel since 1701. Plaque on front of building records that a chapel of 1763 was rebuilt in 1841, then rebuilt and enlarged in 1875. The present building is entirely in keeping with a date of 1875. Historically Rhydwilym was the mother church of all Baptist churches in Pembrokeshire, western Carmarthenshire, and most of southern Ceredigion.
A rubble-stone chapel with a slate roof on bracketed eaves. The gable-end front has rock-faced quoins and dressings. Round-headed windows are margin-lit small-pane horned sashes. The central round-headed doorway has panelled double doors beneath a radial-glazed overlight. Above it are 2 narrow, small windows lighting the gallery, with large windows to the L and R. In the gable is a blind oculus above an inscription tablet. The side walls, of which the L-hand is slate-hung, have 2 large windows, with a similar pair of windows to the rear.
Entrance doors give on to a lobby with open wooden stairs to each side. Four-panelled doors lead to the body of the chapel, either side of a window with coloured glass. Above the window an C18 plaque from the earlier chapel records the foundation of the chapel by John Evans. The main chapel has a ribbed and diapered flat ceiling (the ceiling rose was removed in the 1930s). Windows have hood moulds. The 3-sided gallery has a panelled wooden front, and stands on iron columns from "T JONES PRIORY FOUNDRY CARMARTHEN". Three banks of pine pews. The pulpit has flanking stairs with turned balusters and a reredos with broken segmental pediment on Ionic columns with simulated granite shafts.
Listed as a good unspoilt example of later C19 rural chapel on a historic site, forming part of group including stable and schoolroom, and former chapel house.
Other nearby listed buildings