This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2141 / 53°12'50"N
Longitude: -4.1727 / 4°10'21"W
OS Eastings: 255014
OS Northings: 370763
OS Grid: SH550707
Mapcode National: GBR 5N.1DW1
Mapcode Global: WH546.WG5V
Plus Code: 9C5Q6R7G+JW
Entry Name: Ysgol Treborth
Listing Date: 22 September 1997
Last Amended: 22 September 1997
Source ID: 18918
Building Class: Education
Location: Located E of Treborth Hall Farm, and on the SE side of the main railway line to Holyhead, and set in its own landscaped grounds.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
The mansion house was built for Richard Davies, ship-owner and controversial MP (liberal methodist) for Anglesey after 1852, who bought the the Treborth isaf estate in 1867. The house was probably built c1860-70, as Davies is recorded as being in residence in 1878. It appears on the OS map of 1889. It became a school for remedial education in 1950 when certain adaptations were made, and a separate block built to the rear.
The building is rendered with terracotta dressings, and some rendered quoining. Hipped slate roofs behind parapets. Two storeys with an attic storey, asymmetrical main NW front, comprising a tall cross wing on the left, and 3 blocks stepping back to the right, each arris quoined. The first, of 2 window bays, contains the main entrance, followed by a 2-bay section with a raised and pedimented dormer, and a 3-bay end block. The main entrance has double doors over steps in a single storey extension brought forward to the face of the left wing, and is arched and flanked by Corinthian pilasters, with flanking narrow architraved windows to the main hall. To the left, a two storey canted bay, enriched with pilasters, the first floor window pedimented, and above a moulded terracotta cornice string, a pierced balustrade providing a balcony to the attic room. The windows are generally all 4-pane sashes with moulded and keyed architraves. Round-headed semi-dormers with stepped keystones and ball finials to the 3-bay end block. Rendered and panelled chimneys. The front and rear elevations extend to the SW to embrace a walled service yard with walls swept down to the central entrance.
The entrance leads through a black-and-white marble paved lobby to a spacious entrance hall, with the main oak stair with open turned balusters against the rear wall. To its left, a wide corridor passes through an architraved arch, and serves the original main reception rooms. Tall architraved and pedimented doors open left directly from the hall into the dining room with the front bay window, and to a drawing room, the doors set in deep panelled reveals. One good marble chimneypiece.
Included as a fine example of a mid Victorian shipowner's mansion, and for the interesting use of terracotta details on a large scale.
Other nearby listed buildings