This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.211 / 53°12'39"N
Longitude: -4.1761 / 4°10'33"W
OS Eastings: 254776
OS Northings: 370426
OS Grid: SH547704
Mapcode National: GBR 5N.1L1V
Mapcode Global: WH546.TKK7
Entry Name: Bronwydd
Listing Date: 22 September 1997
Last Amended: 22 September 1997
Source ID: 18909
Building Class: Domestic
Location: The house is set by Treborth-uchaf farm, on the old road approach to the Britannia Bridge.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Built 1905 for Mr H Vincent, solicitor, in a Domestic Revival style. It was later occupied by Sir William Vincent, c1917-1930 who played an important part in achieving independence for India.
Built of battered rock-faced red stone, the upper floor rendered and whitewashed, and slate roofs with axial and lateral stacks. The single room wide house of 9-bedrooms has its main reception rooms at the SW end, and a narrower service wing in line at the NE. Lower gables form slight wings at each end of the main range, but assymetrical between. Panelled entrance door with suspended canopy, with part-external stack to the dining room to the right. Paned timber windows, irregularly placed, those on the upper floor placed close below the eaves. Double transomed window to stair to left of entrance. Canted bay to the dining room on the rear (SE) side, the roof extended to form a sheltered porch over French doors. Small-paned casement windows, some with transoms. A two-storey square bay window with leaded glazing projects from the end elevation, lighting the drawing room.
The entrance hall gives acces to a lateral dog-leg stair, and opposite, a smoking room. The dining room has a tiled chimneypiece. Chair rails, dados and other joinery survives, and patterned leadwork to the windows.
Included as a well preserved example of a large and well appointed house in the Domestic Revival style which has kept its original fenestration pattern, and chimneys, and which retains much of its original interior detail.
Other nearby listed buildings