This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1912 / 52°11'28"N
Longitude: -3.954 / 3°57'14"W
OS Eastings: 266525
OS Northings: 256573
OS Grid: SN665565
Mapcode National: GBR DX.45VV
Mapcode Global: VH4GL.F602
Entry Name: N and E ranges of outbuidings at Nant-y-Dderwen
Listing Date: 30 September 1997
Last Amended: 30 September 1997
Source ID: 18945
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: Situated some 1.5 km N of Llanddewi Brefi on Tregaron road, the W range facing over the road. These ranges enclose two sides of the farmyard behind.
Community: Llanddewi Brefi (Llanddewibrefi)
Community: Llanddewi Brefi
Locality: Prysg and Carfan
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Mid to later C19 extensive group of farm buildings, these ranges apparently a cow-house, barn and cart-shed. The stables and cart-shed facing the road are listed separately. Not marked on 1845 Tithe Map for Prysg and Carfan township. In 1791 Nant-y-Dderwen was part of the Johnes of Hafod estate.
Whitewashed rubble stone with slate roofs. Three ranges, all attached, but not all built at the same time. On the N side of the yard is a cow-shed with sloping roof-line, the lower pine-end to the road, and the upper against the pine-end of a much taller barn with level ridge. Along the E, upper, side of the yard is a cart-shed range attached at right angles to the barn, with roof sloping uphill away from barn. The cow-shed has loft window in lower pine end and, to yard, a door with timber lintel towards left end, and, towards right, a small loft light under eaves, a window, then a door and a window closely beyond. The door has a brick head. Rear has one door with brick head towards upper end.
The barn, apparently added later, has high gable with triangular light and is almost without openings to yard, one small door to centre with stone voussoirs. Rear of barn has door with stone voussoirs to centre, small window just left, and stone lean-to to left end over large water-wheel. Just beyond are broad door with stone voussoirs and square loft door above. One window in upper pine-end. Water-wheel is of about 4.56 m (12') diameter and marked Ellis Bros, Eagle Foundry, Aberystwyth.
Range along upper end of the yard has sloping roofline and eaves down towards barn. To left a single door with stone voussoirs, then five cart-entries, full-height, with square stone piers between.
Listed as part of a complete Victorian farmyard of unusual scale, utilising water-power and retaining much of its character. Group value with front range at Nant-y-Dderwen.
Other nearby listed buildings