History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cambrian House

A Grade II Listed Building in Bow Street, Ceredigion

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4439 / 52°26'38"N

Longitude: -4.0266 / 4°1'35"W

OS Eastings: 262351

OS Northings: 284816

OS Grid: SN623848

Mapcode National: GBR 8V.M17C

Mapcode Global: VH4F6.5T4V

Entry Name: Cambrian House

Listing Date: 12 November 1997

Last Amended: 12 November 1997

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 19059

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Situated near the centre of the linear village of Bow Street, set back slightly on the E side of the A487.

County: Ceredigion

Town: Aberystwyth

Community: Tirymynach

Community: Tirymynach

Locality: Bow Street

Built-Up Area: Bow Street

Traditional County: Cardiganshire

Find accommodation in
Bow Street

History

Earlier to mid C19 house. Deeds dated to 1849 but Census of 1841 records a Cambrian House, owned by the Gogerddan estate, occupied by E Jones, Curate. Later C19 rear E wing and chimneys.

Exterior

Village house. White-painted rough-cast, slate roof with over-hanging eaves and yellow brick later C19 end chimneys. 2-storey, 3-window W front. 12-pane hornless sash windows, slate sills and centre 6-panel door with flush, bead-moulded panels and overlight. C20 slated gabled glazed porch with half-glazed door. Rear has French window to left, central projecting stair gable with stair-light. NE rear wing has 4-pane sashes and N doors in small C20 glazed porch.

Interior

Four-room central plan. Round-arched hall arch with moulded responds. Central rear stair, closed string, stick balusters. Panelled doors with bead-mouldings and original door furniture. Kitchen to left front with ceiling-hooks. Dairy and pantry to rear. Rear wing has large cellar.

Reasons for Listing

A well preserved house still in the late-Georgian style, with some good interior detail.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Penrhiw
    On the E side of the A487 towards upper end of Bow Street, opposite Maes Afallen estate, attached to Arwel to S.
  • II Milestone on E side of A 487
    Situated in rubble stone wall near the centre of Bow Street, on the E side of the A487.
  • II Capel y Garn
    Situated, at the N end of the linear village of Bow Street, on the W side of the A 487, in iron-railed forecourt.
  • II Milestone near Pont Rhyd-hir
    Situated on the E side of the A487 just S of the railway bridge at Pont Rhyd-hir.
  • II Bridge at Plas Gogerddan
    Situated some 40 m W of Plas Gogerddan, spanning Nant Clarach
  • II Plas Gogerddan
    Situated roughly 2 km SW of Penrhyncoch opposite the main entrance to the I.G.E.R. centre, to which it belongs.
  • II Ty'n Rhos
    Situated some 800m SE of Rhydypennau on N side of lane.
  • II Court Villa
    Situated on road side some 600m E of Plas Gogerddan, at the W end of a row of houses.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.