History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Machroes Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanengan, Gwynedd

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.8079 / 52°48'28"N

Longitude: -4.5015 / 4°30'5"W

OS Eastings: 231487

OS Northings: 326301

OS Grid: SH314263

Mapcode National: GBR 56.W4ZJ

Mapcode Global: WH44V.TPM9

Entry Name: Machroes Farmhouse

Listing Date: 1 April 1998

Last Amended: 1 April 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 19606

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Situated on W side of lane running N from Bwlchtocyn-Penrhyndu Road on W edge of Machroes.

County: Gwynedd

Town: Pwllheli

Community: Llanengan

Community: Llanengan

Locality: Penrhyndu

Traditional County: Caernarfonshire

Find accommodation in


Early C19 farmhouse with added service range. One of the earlier houses surviving in the area which was largely built up with mine-workers cottages for the Penrhyndu mine. There are variant spellings of the name. Marked on the 1839 Llanengan Tithe Map as Marchrhos, owned by the Vaynol estate, occupied by Thomas Jones. Captain Henry Jones of Marchroes (1820-59) is buried at Llanengan, and the name of the farm now applies to the settlement called Machroes around it. In poor condition 1997.


Farmhouse, whitewashed rubble stone to main range with slate roof of large graded slates and stone end stacks. Service wing to left is uphill and slightly higher, roughcast with regular slate roof and roughcast left end stack. Two storeys, double-fronted main range with small 4-pane horned sashes and ledged door with overlight, door offset to right of centre. Service wing has large 4-pane sash below, small above and two cement sill courses. Roughcast left end wall.

Reasons for Listing

Included as a little altered vernacular farmhouse of regional character.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Penrhynmawr
    Situated some 1.2 km E of Bwlchtocyn Chapel, on S side of unmetalled track to Porth Tocyn and Penrhyndu.
  • II Engine-house Tower by Tower Cottage
    Situated some 250m NNW of Penrhynmawr farmhouse to W of track leading on to Penrhyndu headland.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.