History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Walls of square enclosed garden of Plas Newydd

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanddaniel Fab, Isle of Anglesey

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1976 / 53°11'51"N

Longitude: -4.2259 / 4°13'33"W

OS Eastings: 251403

OS Northings: 369042

OS Grid: SH514690

Mapcode National: GBR 5K.2KYG

Mapcode Global: WH546.1WXH

Plus Code: 9C5Q5QXF+3J

Entry Name: Walls of square enclosed garden of Plas Newydd

Listing Date: 23 April 1998

Last Amended: 23 April 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 19731

Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces

Location: Located to the S of Plas Newydd home farm. Attached to the S side is the Apple House, and abutting the E wall is the rectangular garden of Plas Newydd.

County: Isle of Anglesey

Community: Llanddaniel Fab

Community: Llanddaniel Fab

Locality: Plas Newydd Home Farm

Traditional County: Anglesey

Find accommodation in
Port Dinorwic

History

Probably built late C18 enclosing an orchard for Plas Newydd. In the early C19 a larger rectangular garden was added to the E side. The Plas Newydd Estate was one of the largest estates on Anglesey, passing to the Bagenal family in 1553 and through marriage to the Bayly family in the C18. In 1812 the estate passed to Henry William, Lord Uxbridge's eldest son; Henry was created 1st Marquess of Anglesey in 1815, and his descendants inherited both estate and title. A number of improvements to the buildings of the estate followed the completion of the main house at Plas Newydd in the early C19; by 1873 the estate is recorded as being 3,848 ha in size, including scattered lands and land around the mansion of Plas Newydd.

Exterior

High walled garden, sub-square in plan, of rubble masonry with the inner face lined with brick in a variation of English garden wall bond. Adjoined on the SE by the apple house, and the rectangular garden of Plas Newydd to the E. Doorway in centre of S wall in slightly advanced brick pediment; doorway in centre of W wall with flat brick-arch head, and wide break in NW corner, for tractor access. Attached the the outer side of the E wall, centrally placed, is a small 2 storey square building, known as the dovecote. Of rubble masonry with red brick facing to inner side; pyramidal roof of slates with finial and copper wind vane. Pointed archway to inner (W) side with pointed window over, set in slightly advanced pediment. Later doorway cut into E side to allow access into the rectangular garden.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a C18 walled garden, formerly an orchard, which together with the adjoining Apple House represents an important component in the gardens of Plas Newydd.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.