This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1973 / 53°11'50"N
Longitude: -4.2247 / 4°13'28"W
OS Eastings: 251483
OS Northings: 369002
OS Grid: SH514690
Mapcode National: GBR 5L.2D7N
Mapcode Global: WH546.2WHR
Plus Code: 9C5Q5QWG+W4
Entry Name: Apple House adjoining to south of square garden, Plas Newydd
Listing Date: 23 April 1998
Last Amended: 23 April 1998
Source ID: 19732
Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Location: Attached to the S wall of the square garden, 100m E of Plas Llanedwen, and S of Plas Newydd Home farm.
County: Isle of Anglesey
Community: Llanddaniel Fab
Community: Llanddaniel Fab
Locality: Plas Newydd Home Farm
Traditional County: Anglesey
The apple house was built on land forming part of the Plas Newydd estate. The Plas Newydd Estate was one of the largest estates on Anglesey, passing to the Bagenal family in 1553 and through marriage to the Bayly family in the C18. In 1812 the estate passed to Henry William, Lord Uxbridge's eldest son; Henry was created 1st Marquess of Anglesey in 1815, and his descendants inherited both estate and title. A number of improvements to the buildings of the estate followed the completion of the main house at Plas Newydd in the early C19; by 1873 the estate is recorded as being 3,848 ha in size, including scattered lands and land around the mansion of Plas Newydd. The apple house may have been built originally in the late C18, was remodelled in the early C19, when it was re-roofed and re-windowed. Loft replaced late C20.
A rectangular 2-storey storehouse, of rubble masonry, with half-hipped slate roof. Three semi-circular brick arches to centre of W front, with boarded doors, and smaller square headed door to right, now partly blocked to form a window. First floor has 5 windows along both sides; 4-pane casements with shallow cambered brick arch heads. Left (half-gabled) end attached to wall of square garden; brick-faced with a square-headed doorway leading into the garden, and a round-headed window with Gothic glazing bars in the half-gable. Right (half-gabled) end has ramp leading to central door to loft with flat stone-arch head, flanked by small windows with brick arch heads, now blocked. Over the door is a small opening, probably an owl-hole. To the left of the door, on the ground floor, is a blocked door with a flat stone-arch head.
Tiled floor to main part; boarded door to separate storeroom to right.
Listed as a significant element in the former Kitchen gardens at Plas Newydd and as retaining its character as a C19 garden building.
Other nearby listed buildings