History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Walls of very large rectangular enclosed garden, Plas Newydd, adjoining square garden on south-west

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanddaniel Fab, Isle of Anglesey

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1976 / 53°11'51"N

Longitude: -4.2241 / 4°13'26"W

OS Eastings: 251527

OS Northings: 369037

OS Grid: SH515690

Mapcode National: GBR 5L.2DCX

Mapcode Global: WH546.2WTH

Plus Code: 9C5Q5QXG+39

Entry Name: Walls of very large rectangular enclosed garden, Plas Newydd, adjoining square garden on south-west

Listing Date: 23 April 1998

Last Amended: 23 April 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 19733

Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces

Location: Located SE of Plas Newydd home farm, adjoining the square garden to the W.

County: Isle of Anglesey

Community: Llanddaniel Fab

Community: Llanddaniel Fab

Locality: Plas Newydd Home Farm

Traditional County: Anglesey

Find accommodation in
Port Dinorwic

History

Built probably early C19, as a nursery and vegetable garden for Plas Newydd, during an important period of improvements to the estate, which also included the construction of Plas Newydd home farm. The Plas Newydd Estate was one of the largest estates on Anglesey, passing to the Bagenal family in 1553 and through marriage to the Bayly family in the C18. In 1812 the estate passed to Henry William, Lord Uxbridge's eldest son; Henry was created 1st Marquess of Anglesey in 1815, and his descendants inherited both estate and title. A number of improvements to the buildings of the estate followed the completion of the main house at Plas Newydd in the early C19; by 1873 the estate is recorded as being 3,848 in size, including scattered lands and land around the mansion of Plas Newydd.

Exterior

High garden wall, roughly rectangular in plan, built of red brick in English Garden Wall bond. Doorways originally in centre of N and S walls, now entrance through door off-centre in N wall. Range of buildings to outer side of N wall; rubble walls and lean-to slate roof, including boiler house, potting shed, men's luncheon room and the pump house for the water system, with heavy iron water tank over.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a well preserved early C19 walled kitchen garden, associated with Plas Newydd, and forming part of the gardens. Also part of an important local group of estate buildings including the adjoining square garden, the apple house and Plas Newydd home farm.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.