History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Cutter

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanddaniel Fab, Isle of Anglesey

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.1874 / 53°11'14"N

Longitude: -4.2199 / 4°13'11"W

OS Eastings: 251770

OS Northings: 367887

OS Grid: SH517678

Mapcode National: GBR 5L.37D3

Mapcode Global: WH54D.44ST

Entry Name: The Old Cutter

Listing Date: 23 April 1998

Last Amended: 23 April 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 19735

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Sited on the NW shore of the Menai Strait, facing Y Felinheli. Reached by a single track road leading off the A4080, passing Plas Coch.

County: Isle of Anglesey

Community: Llanddaniel Fab

Community: Llanddaniel Fab

Locality: Moel-y-don

Traditional County: Anglesey

Find accommodation in
Port Dinorwic


Dated 1717 on slate plaque over door, under initials B E D. Formerly used as one of a number of inns alongside the Menai Strait, serving ferry passengers before the building of the two bridges in the early-mid C19. Two-storey range added to W in early C19, with low outbuildings range added to E probably later C19.


House of 2-storeys and attic, with later, similar W extension and single storey range to E. Principal elevation a 4-window range with asymmetrical facade. Rubble masonry walls painted white. Square stone chimneys to original house, that to right gable end being massive, with dripstones and capping. Gabled slate roof with gable copings. Doorway off-centre, 1 window to left and 2 to right. Modern glazed porch added to front door; a circular window set in a square frame in the wall above. Windows of irregular size and shape, generally with recessed 2-pane sashes, some altered, and enlarged on ground floor. Two storey wing to left has rendered end stack, wide windows with tripartite small-paned sashes. Single storey wing to right with rubble walls, now used in part as garage.


Said by RCAHM to contain chamfered ceiling beams, otherwise modern.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as an early C18 Inn and ferry house retaining historic character, particularly the massive inglenook chimney, and the uneven size and disposition of windows.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Church Lodge
    Located at the right side of the western entrance to St. Edwen's Parish Church, along the Moel-y-don road, c.1.10km SSE of the crossroads with the A4080 Brynsiencyn Road.
  • II Church Lodge entrance walls and gatepiers
    Forming the western entrance to St. Edwen's Parish Church, along the Moel-y-don road, c.1.10km SSE of the crossroads with the A4080 Brynsiencyn Road.
  • II Church of St. Edwen
    In an isolated location c250m from the Menai Strait, reached by a roadway past the Church Lodge of Plas Newydd Estate. The church lies c600m SW of Plas Coch.
  • II South Dock and quay walls at Y Felinheli
    Situated to the S of the main dock system at Y Felinheli. The dock wall runs from the Garddfon Inn in the S to the lock gates in the N.
  • II Chimney Stack at South Dock
    Situated to the S of the South Dock at Y Felinheli.
  • II Barn at Plas Coch
    Located in an enclosed area c200m S of Plas Coch, on the edge of rolling parkland.
  • II Decorative walling in front of Plas Coch
    Length of decorative walling with steps, to the E of the main front of Plas Coch.
  • II Castell Gwylan
    On the banks of the Menai Strait, SE of Porthamel Hall.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.