History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Worthenbury Bridge

A Grade II Listed Building in Willington Worthenbury, Wrexham

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0088 / 53°0'31"N

Longitude: -2.8673 / 2°52'2"W

OS Eastings: 341901

OS Northings: 346067

OS Grid: SJ419460

Mapcode National: GBR 7C.GD0J

Mapcode Global: WH896.XMSS

Entry Name: Worthenbury Bridge

Listing Date: 7 May 1998

Last Amended: 7 May 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 19779

Building Class: Transport

Location: Located on the main road into Worthenbury from Bangor-is-y-coed.

County: Wrexham

Town: Wrexham

Community: Willington Worthenbury

Community: Willington Worthenbury

Locality: Worthenbury

Traditional County: Flintshire

Find accommodation in
Bangor-is-y-coed

History

The bridge was re-built to the designs of the County Surveyor of Flintshire, H J Fairclough, in 1872-73, at a cost of £1,800, following the destruction of the previous bridge by the floods of 18th June 1872. Refurbished in 1992.

Exterior

Ramped single span ashlar bridge, with yellow brick intrados, bridging Emral Brook. To the north end stone steps give access to the bank and an inscribed tablet reading "This bridge was erected at the expense of the county of Flint in the year of our Lord 1872-73 to replace one destroyed by a flood on 18th June 1872, from plans drawn up by H J Fairclough, architect, St Asaph, W Williams, contractor, Rhyl, under the personal superintendence of R Howard, Esq, of Broughton, and the Rev T H G Puleston, of Worthenbury". Stone slab parapet walls on top of a raised stone band. Splayed to either end.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a good example of a C19 bridge designed by the County Surveyor.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II The Manor and Quinton
    Situated off the main road through Worthenbury (B 5069) shortly before Worthenbury Bridge with views towards Hollybush Lane to the south. It is reached by a short private drive and secluded in its ow
  • II Shop Cottage
    Located in the centre of the village on the north side of the main road (B 5069) and attached to the former Post Office and Malt House.
  • II The Malt House including attached cottage to right
    Prominently located to the north side of the main road through Worthenbury (B 5069) to the east of, and stepped forward from the adjoining Admiralty House.
  • II Admiralty House
    Located on the north side of the main road through Worthenbury (B 5069) shortly after its junction with Church Road and adjacent to The Malt House. Set back behind iron-railed narrow forecourt.
  • I Parish Church of St Deiniol
    Located to the west of the centre of the village, a short distance along Church Road, within a walled graveyard. Fine views of the church across open meadows on the approach to the village from the s
  • II The Old Rectory
    Located in its own grounds off Mulsford Lane, after its junction with the main road through Worthenbury, the B 5069. The Old Rectory is set behind cast-iron Gothic style railings to the top of a low
  • II Bowling Bank Farmhouse including attached farm range to west
    Located on the north side of Mulsford Lane which is a turning off the south of the B 5069 just after the centre of Worthenbury. The farmhouse entrance is through its cobbled farmyard.
  • II Frog Lane Cottage (West)
    Located on the south side of Frog Lane (B 5069) in its own garden and set back from the road behind a low brick wall with iron gate and stone piers.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.