This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9349 / 52°56'5"N
Longitude: -3.0851 / 3°5'6"W
OS Eastings: 327167
OS Northings: 338050
OS Grid: SJ271380
Mapcode National: GBR 72.M143
Mapcode Global: WH78C.LH4D
Entry Name: Ha-ha at the E end of the E Garden
Listing Date: 29 July 1998
Last Amended: 29 July 1998
Source ID: 20247
Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Location: The ha-ha extends across the E end, of the E gardens, extending from the N side of Pleasure Ground Wood to the S junction with Garden Wood.
Community: Chirk (Y Waun)
Locality: Chirk Castle
Traditional County: Denbighshire
The ha-ha was constructed in 1761-2 as part of the landscaping of the grounds of the castle by William Emes in the less formal C18 taste, replacing the iron boundary gates and screen, shown on the Thomas Badeslade engraving of 1742.
The ha-ha consists of a stone wall approximately 2.2m high the top set flush with the lower E lawn, the outer ditch rising to a counterscarp bank in the adjoining fields.
Included as an important feature of the C18 landscaping of the grounds.
Other nearby listed buildings