This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9268 / 51°55'36"N
Longitude: -3.2622 / 3°15'44"W
OS Eastings: 313301
OS Northings: 226113
OS Grid: SO133261
Mapcode National: GBR YV.NX02
Mapcode Global: VH6C1.DTRT
Entry Name: Lychgate in churchyard of St Gastyn
Listing Date: 21 August 1998
Last Amended: 21 August 1998
Source ID: 20339
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Forming the W entrance to the churchyard and adjacent to The Old School.
Community: Llangors (Llan-gors)
Locality: Llangasty Tal-y-llyn
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
Almost certainly designed by JL Pearson 1850 as part of his extensive development of the Treberfydd estate for Robert Raikes. The church and the adjacent school were both built by Pearson at an early stage in the plan to provide a focus for worship and education in the neighbourhood.
Lychgate of timber set on an ashlar and rubble saddleback plinth wall with a hipped plain tile roof with terracotta ridge and slender iron crucifix finial. Roof is supported by deep moulded braces; 2 internal bays with trefoil headed mouldings and heavy transoms. Gates of wood with quatrefoils below rail and iron with long hinges. Stone flag floor. Adjoining churchyard wall at right angles has simpler saddleback coping.
Included for group value with the church and Old School House and as an integral part of the redevelopment of this area by Pearson.
Other nearby listed buildings