This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8679 / 51°52'4"N
Longitude: -3.1751 / 3°10'30"W
OS Eastings: 319186
OS Northings: 219469
OS Grid: SO191194
Mapcode National: GBR YZ.SF1R
Mapcode Global: VH6CG.X99W
Entry Name: Home Farm
Listing Date: 21 October 1998
Last Amended: 21 October 1998
Source ID: 20684
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located on the N side of the B4558 Llangattock to Llangynidr road, 250m W of West Lodge. An entrance next to the farm leads to the estate farm buildings.
Community: Llangattock (Llangatwg)
Locality: Glanusk Park
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
The Home Farm is probably by Robert Lugar, c 1825, and part of the original design of Glanusk Park. The farmhouse was L-shaped, but a later rear wing with pentice is said to date to c1870. Associated farm buildings are located to the rear (N).
Glanusk Park was created in 1825 by the ironmaster Sir Joseph Bailey (1783-1858), nephew of Richard Crawshay of Cyfarthfa Castle. The house, by Robert Lugar, was built between 1825 and1830 and was in Tudor Gothic style characterised by octagonal ogee turrets and pinnacles. It was demolished in 1952-54 following extensive damage caused in World War II.
Symmetrical 3-window main range with rear gabled wing resulting in an L-shaped plan, with a further extension to the rear. Two storeys and a cellar. Constructed of rubble masonry under a tiled roof. Two external gable stacks to main range and large masonry lateral stack to E side of rear wing. The main range is orientated E-W and the front is to the N. Central panelled and ribbed front door with 3-pane overlight, flanked by multi-pane windows, with similar but shorter windows in the upper storey. The windows are paired sashes, each with 8-panes in the lower storey and 6-panes above. All the openings are under segmental heads with voussoirs and Tudor-style hoodmoulds typical of Glanusk Estate buildings
The E gable of the main range has an 8-pane sash to the L of the stack at ground floor, with stone sill and lintel. The S gable end of the rear wing has a 3-light casement multi-paned window to each storey, both with voussoirs and Tudor-style hoodmoulds. There is a rear entrance in the centre of the main range. It consists of a planked door under a stone-tiled canopy. Above it is a 3-light casement window under a segmental arch but without a hoodmould. To the W (L) of the rear entrance is a catslide outshut to the main range. The W wall of the house is rendered and there are 2-light casement windows in the outshut, 1 to each storey. A rear single-storey wing projects from the outshut. It has a stone-tiled steeply pitched hipped roof which extends to form a pentice. The eaves are supported on timber posts on the E and S sides and rebuilt brick pillars on the W side. There is a planked door into the E side of this wing and a C20 3-light casement window to the W side.
Wide central stair hall with dog-leg staircase to rear. Large main rooms to L and R with panelled doors. Steps lead down to the service areas in the catslide section. The dining room is located in the rear wing.
Listed for its special interest as a good example of an earlier C19 estate farmhouse retaining characteristic Glanusk detailing.
Group value with associated listed buildings at the Home Farm.
Other nearby listed buildings