This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8675 / 51°52'3"N
Longitude: -3.1752 / 3°10'30"W
OS Eastings: 319182
OS Northings: 219427
OS Grid: SO191194
Mapcode National: GBR YZ.SF1W
Mapcode Global: VH6CG.XB85
Entry Name: Threshing Barn with adjoining Hay Barn and Byre
Listing Date: 21 October 1998
Last Amended: 21 October 1998
Source ID: 20709
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: Located in a farmyard to the rear of the Home Farm at Glanusk Park. This range of barns forms the E side of the farmyard.
Community: Llangattock (Llangatwg)
Locality: Glanusk Park
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
The threshing barn is c1825, probably part of Robert Lugar's designs for Glanusk Park; the attached ranges are later C19. The scale of these farm buildings is indicative of their estate status.
Glanusk Park was created in 1825 by the ironmaster Sir Joseph Bailey (1783-1858), nephew of Richard Crawshay of Cyfarthfa Castle. The house, by Robert Lugar, was built between 1825 and1830 and was in Tudor Gothic style characterised by octagonal ogee turrets and pinnacles. It was demolished in 1952-54 following extensive damage caused in World War II.
Seven-bay threshing barn with contiguous hay barn to the N and byre to the S. The threshing barn has a gabled wagon entrance porch, flanked by lean-tos. Constructed of rubble sandstone under a later corrugated asbestos roof covering. Wide, almost full-height entrance under a flat segmental arch with voussoirs. A string course runs across the gable at eaves height, above which is a ventilation slit, and in the apex an owl hole in a square stone panel.
The lean-to to the L has a corrugated iron roof with a planked door, while that to the R has a corrugated plastic roof, and a central shuttered window with a planked door to the L and a blocked door to the R. Above the lean-to roofs is a string course, at the same level as the eaves and the string course on the cross gable. The rear (W) of the threshing barn has double doors under a segmental head with voussoirs, flanked by a blocked window to the R and 2 ventilation strips to the N.
Abutting to the N is a 4-bay hay open-sided barn with almost full-height round headed openings. Constructed of rubble sandstone with stone dressings including voussoirs. Under a slate roof which is slightly lower than the threshing barn. The N gable end has 2 round headed openings, with 2 square openings in the gable with stone sills and wooden lintels. There is a ventilation slit in the apex. The range adjoining to the S also has a single storey lean-to in front. It has a central panelled door under wooden boarding, flanked by window openings with segmental heads and stone sills. The 2-light casement frames partially survive.
The porch has doorways to L and R into the lean-tos. Both are under timber lintels and high round relieving arches. The doorway into the threshing barn is under a segmental arch with voussoirs. The rear door of the barn is flanked by buttresses and the through-passage has a flagstone floor. The barn itself has a simple queen post roof. To the L (S), the timber framing of the loft survives; 3 cross beams, but no floor boards. The interior walls flanking the entrances have 2 long ventilation slits each, most of which are blocked. The N gable end has 3 ventilation slits, the bottoms of which are blocked and a further one in the gable apex. There is a square opening at a high level leading into the hay barn. It is under a high round relieving arch which cuts through the central ventilation slits, showing that the hay barn is a later addition.
Listed as a good example of an earlier C19 farm building and as part of a particularly well-preserved estate farm complex.
Group value with Hay Barn to W and other listed buildings at the Home Farm.
Other nearby listed buildings