This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8658 / 51°51'56"N
Longitude: -3.172 / 3°10'19"W
OS Eastings: 319397
OS Northings: 219231
OS Grid: SO193192
Mapcode National: GBR YZ.SMTJ
Mapcode Global: VH6CG.YCYH
Entry Name: West Lodge
Listing Date: 21 October 1998
Last Amended: 21 October 1998
Source ID: 20685
Building Class: Domestic
Location: On the N side of the B4558 Llangattock to Llangynidr road, 250m E of the Home Farm. A stone wall fronts the house with timber planked gate leading to front entrance. This entrance to the park is aba
Community: Llangattock (Llangatwg)
Locality: Glanusk Park
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
The lodge is probably by Robert Lugar, c 1825, and part of the original design of Glanusk Park. The W range is later, but the masonry to the rear suggests that there may have been a short projection originally, possibly with a door. The tiles to the roof may also be a later alteration, perhaps by J.L. Pearson, who did other work on the Glanusk Estate.
Glanusk Park was created in 1825 by the ironmaster Sir Joseph Bailey (1783-1858), nephew of Richard Crawshay of Cyfarthfa Castle. The house, by Robert Lugar, was built between 1825 and 1830 and was in Tudor Gothic style characterised by octagonal ogee turrets and pinnacles. It was demolished in 1952-54 following extensive damage caused in World War II.
Small lodge in Tudor Gothic style, of one and a half storeys. L-shaped plan, with gables to S and E, with additional lower wing to W. The front faces the road (S). Constructed of roughly coursed masonry under steeply pitched tiled roof. The L-shaped main range has half-hipped roofs and decorative openwork barge-boards. A rendered stack with 3 diagonally-set shafts is set behind the S gable end. Nestling in the angle of the L-shaped range and facing S is a ribbed and panelled front door with 4-centred head under a hoodmould. The roof pitches extend down to form a porch canopy and covered walkway. The projecting eaves are supported on timber posts. Most of the windows are under pronounced hoodmoulds of 2 orders and have moulded wooden frames. The S gable end, facing the road, has a 2-light casement window to each storey with stone lintel and sill. The E gable end faces the park driveway and has a canted bay window with transom under a hipped roof with chamfered sill. Above it is a 2-light casement window with another to the S. To the rear is a staircase projection with lean-to roof.
The lower, W wing does not have a hipped roof but has decorative barge boards. The stonework is different, suggesting that it is a later addition. The W gable has a 4-pane sash to the upper storey under a hoodmould, and a C20 paned window below with concrete lintel. To the rear (N) is one small 4-pane window, possibly replacing a door, while a C20 white brick stack rises from eaves In front (S), is a lean-to range with a 2-light casement window, and a planked door into the W side.
The kitchen is in the W range accessed through the front lean-to. A kitchen stove is attached to the C20 ridge stack. Steps lead up to the reception rooms in the E and S ranges, which are separated by the fireplace wall. The staircase is in the NW corner of the E range, projecting into the outshut.
Listed as a good example of an early C19 estate lodge.
Group value with associated listed buildings at Glanusk Park.
Other nearby listed buildings