This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8394 / 51°50'21"N
Longitude: -3.1551 / 3°9'18"W
OS Eastings: 320514
OS Northings: 216269
OS Grid: SO205162
Mapcode National: GBR F0.V60M
Mapcode Global: VH6CP.81D8
Entry Name: Tir Philip Farmhouse including attached barn
Listing Date: 21 October 1998
Last Amended: 21 October 1998
Source ID: 20717
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located in the hamlet of Darren, 0.33km down a track which runs E off a lane which links Llangattock and Pant-y-Rhiw.
Community: Llangattock (Llangatwg)
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
The house appears to be of derived long-house type with ‘chimney backing on the entry’ plan. The through passage is in the byre. A tie beam in the byre bears a date of 1639. A wing was added to the S end, probably in the C18. This links the house with a C17/C18 barn. Later, the inner rooms were converted to a dairy. The house belonged to the Beaufort Estate and was sold off in 1906. The name of the house and farm was formerly Tir Philip Evan.
Main N-S range consisting of hall and inner rooms and 3-bay byre. Central stack, now rendered. One and a half storeys, of painted rubble masonry under a slate roof. The E (rear) side was originally the front. There are C20 French Doors just L of the stack forming a lobby entry, but this was not the original entrance. Just R of the stack are double corrugated metal doors under a timber lintel leading to a cross passage in the byre. This is the most likely original entrance. To the L of the French Doors are 2 original window openings. That to the hall is 2-light casement under a substantial timber lintel. That to the inner room (dairy) has 2 timber ovolo-moulded mullions in the original frame. Two C20 gabled roof dormers. To the R of the cross-passage doors is a window opening with timber struts, and a hay loft opening above.
The N gable end to the byre is particularly well preserved. In the attic storey are 2 timber diamond-mullion windows with dripstones, one above the other. Aligned in the lower storey is a window with a central diamond mullion and timber struts. To its R is an entrance with stable doors. There is a similar opening to the L now blocked. These doorways are linked by a long timber lintel. Above it is a pentice with chamfered beam ends and a corrugated asbestos roof.
The current front (W) of the house has an added porch leading to the C18 wing (it is a lean-to against the C17 range). The C18 wing is 2-storey, 1-unit, and N facing with particularly thick walls. It is rendered under a slate roof with a rendered end stack. It contains an early 2-light casement window to the upper floor, and a C20 window below. The byre of the C17 range has 2 long ventilation strips to its W side. The S gable of the C17 house has one small C20 window. The rear (S) of the C18 wing has a lean-to containing the kitchen with a corrugated asbestos roof and C20 metal framed windows.
The barn adjoining the W side of the C18 range is of rubble under a slate roof to the N and corrugated metal to the S. It has a wide, square headed opening towards the R and a planked door to the L. In the attic are 2 loft hatches with planked doors. At the W end is a small lean-to with planked door.
The entrance leads into the C18 wing. This contains 2 split-level ground floor rooms. The W side of the N room has a fireplace under a timber lintel and a bakeoven. The C17 house is entered from the wing. A post and panel partition divides the hall from the former inner rooms which were converted to a dairy. There are 2 doorways in the partition, the E of which has a carved head. The dairy contains part of a salting slab. The hall has 4 chamfered beams with cut stops and hooks for meat, one replaced. The substantial fireplace to the N has stone jambs and chamfered timber lintel. To its L are curved fireplace stairs leading to the attic storey; stone covered with timber. To the R of the fireplace is the original doorway into the byre. The hall and dairy have flagstone floors, and each had a window opening to the E and W, all of which survive, with chamfered timber lintels and wide splayed reveals. That to the W side of the hall is blocked because of the C18 wing. The ovolo-mullioned window in the E of the dairy has wooden shutters.
The byre is on 3 levels stepping down to the N. The upper (S) level is a wide cross-passage with flagstones. The E opening is full height but the W opening is lower. The lowest (N) level is stalls, divided by N-S timber partitions and with cobbled floor and manger. There is a hay loft over. Three-bay collar truss roof, one of which is inscribed 1639.
The attic storey has substantial rafters and 2 purlins. The beams were enclosed in the past and are now painted black. Said to be surviving lath and plaster. Planked doors.
Listed as a fine example a regional sub-medieval farmhouse, the survival of early fenestration being of particular interest.
Other nearby listed buildings