This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8073 / 51°48'26"N
Longitude: -2.95 / 2°56'59"W
OS Eastings: 334599
OS Northings: 212504
OS Grid: SO345125
Mapcode National: GBR F8.X8X5
Mapcode Global: VH797.TTBW
Entry Name: Llanddewi Rhydderch Baptist Chapel
Listing Date: 27 October 1998
Last Amended: 9 December 2005
Source ID: 20753
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: In walled and gated upland burial ground, partly bounded by iron railings, about 1km south-west of Llanddewi Rhydderch, on south side of minor road leading to Abergavenny.
Community: Llanover (Llanofer)
Locality: Llanddewi Rhydderch
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Particular Baptist Chapel of 1826, extended south by one bay in the late C19. Chapel site given by local landowner John Williams of Tresaison.
Rectangular chapel, rendered and painted; hipped slate roof with lead flashings. External render incised with lines in simulation of ashlar. Corners of main entrance elevation once emphasised by raised render at angles, in simulation of stone quoins, but this has now been removed (June 2005). This north front has single-storey wooden porch with freestanding fluted cast-iron columns which carry a plain entablature. Reeded pilasters flank 6-panel double-doors to entrance: upper four panels are moulded, bottom two flush. Above the porch the main wall of the chapel has window with lugged architrave; late C20 plastic glazing in the form of a 6 over 6 pane sash.
Side elevation to west has three irregularly spaced windows again with lugged architraves, but also with projecting keyblocks. These are in the form of 8 over 8 pane sashes. The third window, set apart, indicates the extension to the chapel. Roof hipped to this elevation.
Elevation to east is blind.
South wall has two round-arched window openings. All glazing to the chapel has been renewed with late C20 plastic units but within original openings.
Interior not inspected at resurvey and description taken from spot-listing in 1998.
Small, single cell chapel with gallery of 1826. Entrance lobby has early C19 panelling and stone flagged floor. Doors left and right to main chapel, and far right to gallery. Raked gallery across north (entrance) end only with open backed bench at front and close boarded benches behind. Gallery stair has winders and plain balusters. Gallery front with moulded vertical panels is supported on two slender cast iron columns with plain capitals. Main chapel has plaster ceiling rose ornamented by radiating stylised leaves. Attractive brass corona lucis hangs by chains from crested circlet, coronet ornamented by fleur-de-lys; pendant finial and three attached lamps with opaque flame shades. Side walls have early C19 moulded dado panelling. Later C19 varnished pine pews, close boarded with shaped ends; centre block and slightly angled side blocks. Pew-ends have C19 lamps mounted on slender columns; two with spiral turned brass shafts, palmette capitals and globe shades; two with wooden spiral-turned columns and flame shades. Raised pulpit platform, reached by straight stairs left and right. Pulpit has newels with ball finials, turned balusters; lamps with flame shades at each end. To front of pulpit, small square 'set fawr' enclosure with close-backed seating for deacons. The east wall has projecting chimney breast. Pronounced build line on wall between windows on west side marks line of late C19 chapel extension.
Included for its special interest as an early C19 Particular Baptist chapel which, although altered, still retains a strong historic character.
Other nearby listed buildings