History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Pont Nantglyn

A Grade II Listed Building in Nantglyn, Denbighshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1399 / 53°8'23"N

Longitude: -3.4917 / 3°29'30"W

OS Eastings: 300309

OS Northings: 361347

OS Grid: SJ003613

Mapcode National: GBR 6J.6B8S

Mapcode Global: WH662.BBHQ

Entry Name: Pont Nantglyn

Listing Date: 15 December 1998

Last Amended: 15 December 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 20991

Building Class: Transport

Location: Located approximately 1.6km S of Nantglyn village, spanning the Nant-y-Blaenau immediately NW of Plas Nantglyn.

County: Denbighshire

Town: Denbigh

Community: Nantglyn

Community: Nantglyn

Locality: Plas Nantglyn

Traditional County: Denbighshire

Find accommodation in
Nantglyn

History

Road bridge of probable C18 or early C19 date. Given its proximity to Plas Nantglyn, dated 1573 and 1574, it seems probable that the origins of the bridge (ie either its core or its predecessor) are C16.

Exterior

Small single-span road bridge; of limestone and slate rubble construction with rough dressed voussoirs to small arches. Convex rubble parapets with neat slate-slab copings; the SW upstream section has been rebuilt. Flat carriageway.

Reasons for Listing

Listed for its special interest as a good example of a small C18 or early C19 regional road bridge with probable earlier origins.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Plas Nantglyn
    Located approximately 1.6km S of Nantglyn village set back to the SE of the road running S from the village towards the Llyn Brenig; accessed via a metalled drive.
  • II Agricultural Range immediately S of Glasmor
    Prominently located at the crossroads at the southern end of the village, opposite Glasmor.
  • II Barn Range to the W of Glasmor
    Prominently located at the crossroads at the southern end of the village, opposite Glasmor.
  • II Glasmor
    Located prominently on the corner, at the crossroads at the S end of the village street.
  • II Telephone Call-box
    Prominently-located in the village centre, adjoining Cae Llwyd and the Post Office; sited on W side of minor road running uphill from Pont y Llan to N.
  • II Parish Church of St James
    Located on a raised, near-circular site in the centre of the village; its churchyard contains two ancient yew trees.
  • II Pont-y-Llan
    Spanning the Afon Ystrad in the centre of the village.
  • II Telephone Call-box
    Located on the road-side, opposite Waen Presbyterian Chapel.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.