This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8019 / 51°48'6"N
Longitude: -3.3613 / 3°21'40"W
OS Eastings: 306232
OS Northings: 212347
OS Grid: SO062123
Mapcode National: GBR YQ.XNVV
Mapcode Global: VH6CK.PZD1
Entry Name: Brecon and Merthyr Railway bridge beside Ponsticill Reservoir
Listing Date: 17 December 1998
Last Amended: 17 December 1998
Source ID: 21214
Building Class: Transport
Location: Bridge over a mountain track due N of former Pontsticill Junction station, on the E bank of Pontsticill Reservoir.
County: Merthyr Tydfil
Community: Vaynor (Y Faenor)
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
Part of Berecon and Merthyr Railway constructed 1860s, the line substantially supported by Brecon bankers and the de Winton family of industrialists with the aim of transporting coal and iron from the industrial valleys. First section between Brecon and Pant near Dowlais opened 1863, later extended to Dowlais; branch line to Merthyr from Ponsticill Junction followed Taf Fechan River and was opened 1868. Engineer for Brecon to Pant section was Henry Conybeare and for Pontsticill to Merthyr Alexander Sutherland. The engineering achievement of this line is described by Barrie as "the famous Seven Mile Bank, constructed throughout on a shelf cut into the hillside and falling towards the Usk for the first half-mile at 1 in 68 and then for 61/2 miles at 1 in 38 so that southbound trains have to overcome a rise of 925 feet in seven miles". Closed 1960s. This bridge was built to take the railway over an existing trackway, possibly associated with Abercriban quarries to E. Valley below flooded by Pontsticill Reservoir in 1920s.
Former railway bridge over a track; built of snecked rockfaced stone with rockfaced voussoirs to continuous semi-circular archway rising from ground without imposts. Narrow flat coping and angled abutments also with coping. Roadway in tunnel beneath.
Listed for its historic interest as a well designed and intact bridge from the Brecon and Merthyr Railway of 1860s.
Other nearby listed buildings