History in Structure

Farm courtyard to Tir Pentre

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanfair-ar-y-bryn, Carmarthenshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.0047 / 52°0'16"N

Longitude: -3.726 / 3°43'33"W

OS Eastings: 281620

OS Northings: 235433

OS Grid: SN816354

Mapcode National: GBR Y7.HVVB

Mapcode Global: VH5DY.CWL2

Plus Code: 9C4R273F+VJ

Entry Name: Farm courtyard to Tir Pentre

Listing Date: 25 February 1999

Last Amended: 25 February 1999

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 21420

Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence

ID on this website: 300021420

Location: Situated at entry to village, across river from Tir Pentre

County: Carmarthenshire

Town: Llandovery

Community: Llanfair-ar-y-bryn

Community: Llanfair-ar-y-Bryn

Locality: Pentre-ty-gwyn

Traditional County: Carmarthenshire

Tagged with: Courtyard

Find accommodation in


Farm courtyard dated 1865 with later open-bay hay-barn. The main range is a good example of the Carmarthenshire inclusive range combining very neatly barn, lofted stable and lofted cart-shed, but unusually varied in entrances, the barn main entry being from the court, the stable from the rear and the cart-shed from the end wall. The lower single-storey range could be contemporary, perhaps loose boxes, and the open-bay hay barn is a late C19 type relatively rare in the county.


Farm courtyard, two sides in whitewashed rubble stone with slate roofs. Main S range is taller and has barn to W, lofted stable and cartshed right, all integral. E end gable has 1865 date plaque over cart-entry with stone voussoirs to arch. Rear S wall has stable to right, door between two windows with similar two loft windows above, 9-pane sashes. Barn to left has tall barn door with cambered head and stone voussoirs, loop each side. N elevation to court is obscured by two ranges running N to enclose court. Barn door with stone voussoirs right, then loop, then window and door with timber lintel under square loft light. Door to left with stone voussoirs. NE wing is lower, single storey, with three doors, two full height and centre one with stone voussoirs.
Hay-barn to right has yellow brick square piers to 5 open bays and slate roof with slates staggered (to'r brat). Four of open bays have been infilled.

Reasons for Listing

Included as a good Victorian farm range of 1865 compactly planned, and with added open-bay hay-barn, relatively unusual in the area.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.