This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6782 / 51°40'41"N
Longitude: -3.1783 / 3°10'41"W
OS Eastings: 318623
OS Northings: 198372
OS Grid: ST186983
Mapcode National: GBR HY.5F86
Mapcode Global: VH6DF.V2LT
Entry Name: The Oakdale Public House
Listing Date: 23 March 1999
Last Amended: 23 March 1999
Source ID: 21512
Building Class: Recreational
Location: In the centre of Oakdale village, fronting the green on the SE side.
Built-Up Area: Blackwood
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Built as an integral part of the Oakdale Model Village Development for the workers at Tredegar Iron and Coal Company and Oakdale Steam Navigation Coal Company. It was planned by managing director of Oakdale Colliery A S Tallis, as a giant colliery with its own model village for its workers, providing a high standard of living and varied amenities. Architect A F Webb, brother-in-law of Tallis, who also designed the chapel and the Miners' Institute which formerly stood opposite the Hotel, now re-erected at St Fagans Museum. Formerly called The Oakdale Hotel. Oakdale pit was sunk 1907. Detailed plans for the settlement were drawn up with sites for public buildings identified at focal points of the concentric residential development centred on the village green and surrounding shops. Hospital built 1914 followed by the Hotel, the licence for which was transferred from the Black Horse PH nearby.
Large hotel in mildly Garden Village style, constructed in a mixture of red brick with some decorative patterning in blue, rock faced stone, render with a version of pargeting, and applied half timbering, some tile hanging; plain tile roof, no stacks. N frontage facing green has central moulded round-arched doorway with a deep hood with panelled soffit, tapering timber posts, double 6-panel doors and fanlight with radial glazing bars and coloured glass. 2 storeys, central bay has swept eaves and casement window over the doorway. To either side deep iron casement windows extend through eaves to form a hipped roof half-dormer. High up ground floor window to each side of doorway. To right breaking forward is a gabled bay with paired windows within a stone surround incorporating a pargeted panel; 3 light window to ground floor; at apex a relief motif of fruit. To left breaking forward is a hipped roof bay with shallow 2-storey bay with triple-light windows and pargeted band between floors. Second frontage to Central Avenue has twin canted gabled bays with half timbered gables and heavy barge boards, tile hung between storeys, small pane casement windows to each face of bay; to right external stack bay with offsets, reduced. To centre, steps up to front doorway with recessed 5-panel double doors and posts supporting a small balcony on first floor with wooden balustrade and swept overhanging roof.
Interior retains much of its original plan and furnishing in Mock Tudor style, with applied half timbering, plate rack, exposed joists, brick and tile fireplace, vertical panelled doors; entrance bay with swing doors and coloured glass; corona iron light fittings. Hall has decorative panelled dado, door to cellar, staircase with decorative newel post, moulded cornicnes and semi-circular arches to ceiling bays. Inner porch has half glazed and panelled swing doors; former billiard room now a second bar.
Listed as a substantial hotel very representative of early C20 popular building style and for its historic interest as part of the Oakdale Model Village Development.
Other nearby listed buildings