This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4938 / 51°29'37"N
Longitude: -3.5226 / 3°31'21"W
OS Eastings: 294390
OS Northings: 178300
OS Grid: SS943783
Mapcode National: GBR HG.K4NF
Mapcode Global: VH5HK.WQL8
Entry Name: Saron Welsh Congregationalist Chapel
Listing Date: 23 March 1999
Last Amended: 22 July 2003
Source ID: 21514
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: On the south side of Treoes village at the junction with the lane to Llangan. Prominently set at the north-west corner of the stone-walled
County: Vale of Glamorgan
Community: Llangan (Llan-gan)
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Welsh Congregationalist chapel of 1841 (date plaque), on the site of an old barn where the cause was established in 1831. Gallery added in 1861 as the building had become too small after the Revival of 1859-60. Reroofed in 1986.
Chapel built of unpainted roughcast with thin stucco surrounds, broken sill bands and shallow plinth, late C20 tile roof. Patterned detail at keystones. Long-wall facade to south of two long arched sash windows to centre, flanked by arched doorways and then outer square-headed gallery lights. Small-paned glazing with intersecting tracery in heads survives in main windows, gallery lights have 9-pane late C20 hardwood windows. Doors are late C20 slatted hardwood with similar infill in fanlights. Stone sills.
Rear wall has two-window range same as front gallery windows. Small outhouse at rear of east wall.
Interior not inspected at resurvey. Description taken from 1999 listing inspection.
Galleried interior with gallery of 1861. Dominant high pulpit between main windows raised on panelled base. Replacement panelled 5-sided corniced front and curving stairs up from right. Stairs have stick banisters and moulded rail. Original tall panelled pulpit back with vertical panels under moulded pediment with marbling within. Between pulpit and panelled lobbies are enclosed box pews, the one to the right smaller because of pulpit stair adjacent. Box fronts have affixed seats facing away from pulpit.
Pews are generally raked with panelled backs, doors and top-rails of bench-ends ramped down. Three blocks across rear wall, centre block fronted with simple long open-backed benches. One inward-facing block on east wall, gap to centre east side where there was another. West side has chimneybreast with iron grate in simple surround, and then to left raked pews in corner under gallery stairs, facing rear wall. Moulded rail with coat-hooks along rear wall.
Gallery is 3-sided with curved angles on 1 x 3 x 1 tapering iron columns having painted decoration above neck rings. Gallery frontal has particularly fine contrasting painted graining, generally a light colour framing dark walnut-type panels. Latter have moulded outer frame and plain black inset frame to give a bordered rectangle design. Panels are divided 2 - 5 - 5 - 2, the blocks of five including the long curved angle panel. Between these blocks a wider gap with applied oval tablet and console above, white painted (tablet missing from long side). Moulded top rail. Gallery front projected with moulded wooden cornice above a panelled frieze of long thin panels, with short panels over column heads.
Raked gallery pews panelled with ramped bench-ends and hinged doors, open-backed benches to the side except the pair fronting the stairwell. Flat plaster ceiling with plain loft hatch.
Two painted-grain panelled entrance lobbies with big double doors to chapel under long overlights, small-paned with coloured and patterned glass. One panel of lobby side to pulpit glazed.
Included as a rural chapel of relatively early date with exceptionally fine gallery and other furnishings of 1861.
Other nearby listed buildings