This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5043 / 51°30'15"N
Longitude: -3.532 / 3°31'55"W
OS Eastings: 293764
OS Northings: 179484
OS Grid: SS937794
Mapcode National: GBR HG.JG95
Mapcode Global: VH5HK.QGM5
Entry Name: Brynffrwd
Listing Date: 15 October 1997
Last Amended: 15 October 1997
Source ID: 18969
Building Class: Domestic
Location: On the main village thoroughfare a little W of the church; house reached by a short drive through entrance gates with lodge adjacent.
Community: Coychurch Lower (Llangrallo Isaf)
Community: Coychurch Lower
Built-Up Area: Bridgend
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Original Brynffrwd farmhouse was to SW with farm buildings NW. This was built as a replacement house in 1860s, probably contemporary with lodge dated 1863. Does not feature in census of 1861, but appears on the one for 1871.
Victorian classical in style, very different from the apparently contemporary Gothic Revival Lodge. Rendered, scored and painted to fronts, pebble dashed to sides, with a Welsh slate roof, end stacks and decorative barge boards. Two storeys, attic and cellar, 3 bays, 2 matching frontages, reputedly the result of a disagreement about which way the house should face - originally a drive served both. Very symmetrical frontages comprise at first floor level three 6/6 pane sash windows in reveals with sills and heavy bracketed square hoodmoulds; similar windows at ground floor with a central doorway framed by pilaster strips and a simple moulded pediment; 9 panelled door with rectangular overlight with patterned glazing bars; quoin strips and string and plinth courses. To right is a small flagged service courtyard with limewashed stone service wings facing each other; each has boarded doors and 8/8 pane sash windows in reveals. On the Waterton Road side of the main house, front garden is separated from drive by a low wall with ashlar piers, iron gates and railings.
Clear delineation even in confined space between the polite and service quarters, the former being on the left of the central passage which connects the two doors; the latter to right comprised as well as kitchen and servants room, a china room and formerly a separate staircase. Most rooms retain their wooden furnishings, including shutters but fireplaces have been removed; hall retains staircase in Victorian classical style.
Included, together with separately listed Entrance Lodge and Gateway, as a largely intact domestic complex of 1860s, representing an interesting pairing of architectural styles and contemporary social aspirations
Other nearby listed buildings