This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.9593 / 52°57'33"N
Longitude: -4.1868 / 4°11'12"W
OS Eastings: 253204
OS Northings: 342455
OS Grid: SH532424
Mapcode National: GBR 5M.KPF8
Mapcode Global: WH55C.NWG5
Entry Name: Clenennau
Listing Date: 30 March 1999
Last Amended: 30 March 1999
Source ID: 21541
Building Class: Domestic
Location: This important farm stands on the NE side of the road from Tremadoc to Golan and Dolbenmaen.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Clenennau was the principal holding of John ap Maredydd, b c1510, and his son Moris. It was consolidated as an estate in the later C15, and had taken precedence over its neighbours by 1575 under William Maurice, who had built up a considerable library here. His eldest daughter married John Owen of Bodsilin, and their son became the well known royalist leader, Sir John Owen, great grandson of Sir William Maurice, who was knighted by the King at Oxford, and became Sergeant Major General of the Royalist forces in North Wales. His monument is in the Church of St Beuno, Penmorfa. The present building, which was besieged for 4 weeks and later plundered at the end of the civil war, appears to incorporate some fabric of the earliest phase of development in the C15 or early C16, and extended in Sir John's time. The main frontage was rebuilt c1880.
Built of rubble stonework, with slated roofs. Two storeys, 'L'-plan; the 3-bay front rebuilt c1880, symmetrical with a central 4-panelled door and plain overlight, and 3-light timber mullioned and transomed windows to both floors. Gable stacks. The first bay of the rear wing adjoining the main range is an addition of the mid C17, probably built by Sir John Owen. Door facing the farmyard, and small paned timber windows. Similar windows to the N gable end set near the outer corners of the building.
The main front range was refurbished in the later C19, including corniced rooms on both floors. The roof however is of 5 bays and retains work probably of the later C15 in the form of two central arched braced collar beam trusses with raking struts to the substantial principal rafters, the joints 4 x pegged and the soffits chamfered, indicating three open bays at the centre. The two levels of purlins are splay scarfed. The S end truss has been replaced. No indications of smoke blackening suggesting this may be a parlour wing. The main range is of 2 bays, with two pegged collar trusses with principals of blade-like section. A third bay is added beyond a stone wall. This section contains the stair and cross passage doors at the junction of the two ranges.
Included at II* as an important C17 farmhouse with historical connections with the Civil War in North Wales.
Other nearby listed buildings