This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9204 / 52°55'13"N
Longitude: -4.3322 / 4°19'56"W
OS Eastings: 243298
OS Northings: 338435
OS Grid: SH432384
Mapcode National: GBR 5F.N42H
Mapcode Global: WH44C.FV8J
Entry Name: Capel Siloh
Listing Date: 31 March 1999
Last Amended: 31 March 1999
Source ID: 21607
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: The chapel is set in the rows of cottages which form the N side of the main street in the village.
Built-Up Area: Chwilog
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
The Congregational chapel was first built in 1869 as part of the rapid expansion of the village following the arrival of the railway. It was considerably altered in 1897 and now largely dates from this period.
Rendered and lined out, with raised quoins and dressings, pebbledash in the pediment, and a slate roof. The gabled entrance of the chapel faces the street; a rusticated rendered plinth and central round-headed entrance, a pair of 4-panelled doors and fanlight set in a projecting portico on paired Corinthian pilasters. Arched architrave to the door with keystone rising to the moulded cornice. To either side, tall pilastered round-headed windows of similar detail rise from a moulded sill band, and margin glazing. Two similar but much smaller windows set above the portico pediment in the recessed panel. The string course at the base of the pediment breaks back over the panel, and an architraved arch at the centre includes the inscription SILOH / 1869.1897. Moulded raking pediments.
The forecourt of the chapel has railings on a low rendered wall with central square piers maintaining the line of the street.
Not accessible at the time of inspection.
Included as a good late C19 village chapel with a well detailed and carefully balanced elevation, which is an important element in the great expansion of the small scattered community to form a village which took place in the 1860s.
Other nearby listed buildings