History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Capel Rehoboth

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanberis, Gwynedd

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1049 / 53°6'17"N

Longitude: -4.0844 / 4°5'3"W

OS Eastings: 260553

OS Northings: 358447

OS Grid: SH605584

Mapcode National: GBR 5R.8J8W

Mapcode Global: WH54V.7780

Plus Code: 9C5Q4W38+X6

Entry Name: Capel Rehoboth

Listing Date: 28 May 1999

Last Amended: 28 May 1999

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 21849

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: Located in the centre of Nant Peris on the north side of the A 4086 with the former school immediately to the west and a row of C19 terraced houses directly opposite; small forecourt in front with low

County: Gwynedd

Town: Caernarfon

Community: Llanberis

Community: Llanberis

Locality: Nant Peris

Traditional County: Caernarfonshire

Tagged with: Chapel

Find accommodation in
Llanberis

History

Calvinistic Methodist chapel founded in 1833, rebuilt in 1876.

Exterior

Chapel. Simplified Classical style. Rectangular plan in 4 bays. Rock-faced snecked rubblestone blocks with tooled ashlar dressings; slate roof. Gabled entrance front in 3 bays with alternating quoins, string course, moulded cornice and upper string course to coped pediment; round-headed window openings above string course in plain pilastered surrounds with keystones to left and right of central round-headed Venetian window with polished shafts supporting Corinthian capitals, all containing sash windows with margin lights and coloured glass roundels. Ground floor has square-headed sash windows in plain surrounds with margin lights to either side of central 3-bay shallow porch with slate capping and round-headed openings, the outer for recessed 6-panel doors with fanlights, the centre for a fixed-light window with margin lights and coloured glass. Semi-circular slate-stone above cornice with scrolled surround reads "REHOBOTH/ ADEILADWYD 1833/ AILADEILADWYD 1876"; small louvred round-headed opening directly above upper string course and stone finial with wrought-iron cross to gable. Rendered return walls have 4 sashes to each floor following the patterns of those to the front but without the surrounds. Lean-to attached to rear gable (Sunday School) has three 12-paned sashes to back wall. [Former manse attached to rear right corner of chapel].

Interior

Imposing galleried interior has flat ribbed plaster ceiling with moulded cornice, floral and other motifs, boarded panels with decorative fret-work to the borders and a large plaster rose to the centre with richly decorated pendant lantern. Box pews to ground floor and impressive set fawr with turned balusters to panelled enclosure housing reading desk, chairs and inlaid pulpit. Blind Venetian plaster arch behind with fluted Corinthian pilasters and painted key-block. Panelled gallery with raked seating supported on 5 cast-iron columns; Victorian clock facing set fawr; moulded surrounds with console brackets to sash windows. Entrance lobby has opposing round-headed arches with consoles to foot of staircases with turned newels and stick balusters leading to gallery; 6-panel doors to chapel itself flank central rose window with coloured glass, below which is a marble First World War memorial. C19 benches in Sunday School.

Reasons for Listing

Included as a largely unaltered C19 Methodist chapel, ambitious in scale and form for a small community, and with an exceptionally good interior.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II* Church of St Peris
    Located in the centre of Nant Peris at the western end of the Pass of Llanberis in a roughly rectangular-shaped churchyard with a stone lychgate dated 1929 on the northern side.
  • II Ffynnon Beris
    Located in the garden of Tyn-y-Ffynnon on the east side of a farm track running northwards from the A 4086 at Nant Peris.
  • II Pen-y-bryn
    Located within its own small field system in a prominent position on rising ground above the A 4086 at Nant Peris.
  • II Cwm-yr-Wrach
    Located in an isolated position within rubble-walled enclosure without vehicular access on hillside above the A 4086 at Nant Peris.
  • II Bryn Glas
    Situated in an isolated position without vehicular access on a rock outcrop on hillside in small rubblestone-walled enclosure above the A 4086 at Nant Peris.
  • II Talgae
    Located behind a low rubblestone wall on the A 4086 at the south-eastern edge of Nant Peris.
  • II Milestone
    Located at Gwastadnant on the south side of the A 4086 at the south-eastern approach to Nant Peris.
  • II Milestone
    Located at the foot of Clogwyn Mawr on the A 4086 on the south side of Lyn Peris.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.