This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1395 / 53°8'22"N
Longitude: -4.178 / 4°10'40"W
OS Eastings: 254409
OS Northings: 362482
OS Grid: SH544624
Mapcode National: GBR 5M.6CKQ
Mapcode Global: WH54L.SCP0
Entry Name: Boundary wall, gateways & turrets at Bryn Bras Castle
Listing Date: 27 August 1999
Last Amended: 27 August 1999
Source ID: 22261
Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Location: On the north-east side of the Llanrug-Llanberis 'Mountain' road, the boundary wall runs alongside the castle gardens and continues north-westwards underneath and past the arch-way linking the 2 parts
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
South-east of the south-east entrance, the boundary wall appears to be contemporary with the initial construction phase of Bryn Bras Castle (1830-5) but this entrance, the main entrance, the turrets and the various stretches of wall between, all in existence by 1889, appear more likely to have been built in their present form, albeit on an earlier line, in the 1870s or '80s; further relatively minor modifications were carried out for Duncan Alves in the 1920s.
Boundary wall, gateways and turrets. Rubblestone wall of varying height with stone-on-edge coping following road, section to south-east of south-east entrance irregularly coursed, remainder constructed of larger more regularly coursed blocks (straight joint between). Incorporates 2 gateways and ends in a turret to north-west. The south-eastern gateway, opposite the entrance to Brynteg Caravan Park, is simple and has large square piers with narrow 'arrow' slits surmounted by opposing armorial shields and iron gates with 'A'-bracing (for Alves). Main gateway, opposite Fernlea, is grander with circular corbelled and crenellated turrets flanking a segmental arch-way with battlemented parapet and the Alves coat-of-arms and wheatsheaf to centre; nail-studded wooden double gates to drive with massive strap hinges and wicket door to right section and each turret has a stone plaque with the letter 'A' to front. The wall ramps down to the left of this gateway and continues downhill under the arch-way over the road (to the right of which is a nail-studded doorway giving access to the castle) and then rises in height, ending in a tall circular turret with embattled parapet. A wall running at right-angles to the left turret of the main gateway terminates in a similar turret, through the battered base of which emerges as a waterfall discharging into a pool below the stream running underneath the drive; an iron light bracket projects from beneath the corbelled parapet of this turret.
Included as a substantial stretch of boundary wall with Picturesque gateways and turrets forming a strong grouping with the castle and other garden structures at Bryn Bras Castle.
Other nearby listed buildings