This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9556 / 51°57'20"N
Longitude: -3.7882 / 3°47'17"W
OS Eastings: 277212
OS Northings: 230083
OS Grid: SN772300
Mapcode National: GBR Y4.LYTL
Mapcode Global: VH5F9.935M
Entry Name: The Plough Inn
Listing Date: 30 September 1999
Last Amended: 30 September 1999
Source ID: 22398
Building Class: Recreational
Location: Situated in centre of village, S of the church.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Village inn, apparently mid C19, perhaps rebuilding an earlier house. The 1839 Tithe Map shows a cottage on the site owned by the Williamsfield estate, occupied by David Lewis, but the Plough Inn is recorded by the 1860s. The facade has been altered since 1907 when a photograph shows the ground floor windows smaller, their heads below the level of the door head. Thomas Bowen of the Plough Inn, d 1871 aged 72, is buried in the churchyard.
Inn, whitewashed rubble stone with slate close-eaved roof and roughcast end stacks, larger to right. Two-storey, three-window range of camber-headed horned sashes with marginal glazing bars, centre flat-headed door with overlight. First floor openings have stone voussoirs, ground floor have brick, as windows were lengthened in early C20. 2 storey wing to rear with various small C20 extensions.
Attached to right is lower outbuilding with stone stack on roof slope to right. Former cart-entry to ground floor extreme left and small window above under eaves. Cart-entry has timber lintel and inserted door and window. Square window with stone voussoirs to head to centre, former door. N end wall is canted to line of road and has big C20 window in former cart-entry to right, loft window in gable. Rear has stone outside steps to loft door.
Included as the most prominent house in the village centre at Myddfai, a nucleated village of unusually consistent and coherent character. Of group value with the houses opposite, the house below, and the church above.
Other nearby listed buildings