History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parc-y-Justice

A Grade II Listed Building in Pentyrch, Cardiff

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5167 / 51°30'59"N

Longitude: -3.3042 / 3°18'15"W

OS Eastings: 309601

OS Northings: 180555

OS Grid: ST096805

Mapcode National: GBR HR.HRL3

Mapcode Global: VH6F4.P42N

Entry Name: Parc-y-Justice

Listing Date: 31 January 2000

Last Amended: 31 January 2000

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 22829

Building Class: Domestic

Location: On the hillside below Craig-y-parc reached by a lane and track leading off Star Lane near the Llantrisant Road.

County: Cardiff

Community: Pentyrch

Community: Pentyrch

Locality: Capel Llanilltern

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Pentyrch

History

Probably C18 in its current form though there are earlier references, notably a monument in nearby Capel Llanilltern church to John Williams of Park Gent died 1651. There are other monuments to Williams family of Park, and others to the Price family of Park or Parke, including one to John Price died 1818 whose other dwelling was Llandough Castle. Name believed to have taken its present form when house was inhabited by a judge. Panelling from house reported as re-used at Craig-y-parc.

Exterior

Large double-pile gentleman's farmhouse of painted rendered stone with snecked rockfaced ridge and end stacks and roof of slates of varying thickness; ridge shows a join between main range and end bay. Main frontage facing E has a 4-window range of 6/6 pane sashes to first floor with narrow sills; on ground floor the lower sash is plate glazed with a later window beside door at end right which has 2 smaller windows at different level beside. S facing frontage has blank gable end with single 6/1 ground floor sash window, a half hipped roofed porch with similar window and 6-panel door and the 2-window range of the cross wing, similar to frontage with slightly moulded hoods within the render; unusual ground floor garden door with 5-pane overlight. At opposite N facing end are external steps to loft/ former granary, pitched slate roof and moulded surround to door; slightly battered. Adjacent is a wall with railings and gates linking a small colour washed 2-storeyed stable block with cambered headed openings with voussoirs, other later openings and alterations, one ventilation slit.

Interior

Interior has dogleg staircase of dark stained wood in the rear pile. Drawing room and dining room retain some fine plasterwork to ceilings, dentilled cornices and in the latter a central oval within a rectangular panel with swept corners; one grey marble fireplace. Wide lightly chamfered cross beams; panelled shutters.

Reasons for Listing

Included as one of the larger regional farmhouses retaining much of its historic fabric; group value with nearby farm range.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.