This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.519 / 51°31'8"N
Longitude: -3.3038 / 3°18'13"W
OS Eastings: 309635
OS Northings: 180818
OS Grid: ST096808
Mapcode National: GBR HR.HKPM
Mapcode Global: VH6F4.P29V
Entry Name: Loggia at Craig-y-parc and attached terrace walls and steps
Listing Date: 31 January 2000
Last Amended: 31 January 2000
Source ID: 22817
Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Location: Stands adjacent to the house to E, at the end of the top terrace facing W.
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Built c 1915 by C E Mallows for Thomas Evans as part of the extensive garden for Craig-y-parc house.
An open loggia, in dimensions similar to a small barn or byre, of stone rubble with deep hipped stone-tiled roof. At each end is a short stretch of masonry with offset and between 6 slender Doric columns of limestone. To N the wall returns and forms a garden entrance with lattice panels and stone tiled roof, similar to stretch in front courtyard. To S it extends to form a garden wall of roughly dressed deliberately random masonry barely mortared, forming a curve round a terraced recess and descending in height to border a short angled flight of steps at the end of the terrace; a further flight of steps descends from the terraced recess in a matching curve and another from the higher level.
Interior is dominated by a heavy intricate timber-framed roof of 7 bays with massive tie beams, king posts, struts, collars, braces, close-set rafters and 2 rows of purlins. The masonry is designed to suggest a building which has evolved over centuries, with stone of different sizes and type, small niches, corbels, patching including the tile-stitching fashionable for masonry repairs at the time and a series of relief shields bearing coats of arms. In the centre is a low fireplace with semi-circular arch, end-on tiled voussoirs and prominent keystone with a semi-circular kerb and an iron fire basket and back dated 1743 from the Taff Vale Foundry. Flagged floor.
Included at II* as an essential feature of the house and garden design in interesting historicist style; group value with the house and other listed garden features.
Other nearby listed buildings