History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Fairy Hill House

A Grade II Listed Building in Reynoldston, Swansea

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5988 / 51°35'55"N

Longitude: -4.2149 / 4°12'53"W

OS Eastings: 246690

OS Northings: 191203

OS Grid: SS466912

Mapcode National: GBR GS.109S

Mapcode Global: VH3MW.W2MQ

Entry Name: Fairy Hill House

Listing Date: 10 February 2000

Last Amended: 10 February 2000

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 22849

Building Class: Domestic

Location: In its own grounds W of a minor road between Reynoldston and Stembridge (about 500m east of Burry Green).

County: Swansea

Town: Swansea

Community: Reynoldston

Community: Reynoldston

Locality: Fairy Hill

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Reynoldston

History

A house at this location known either as Fairy Hill or Peartree House is recorded from the early C18. The present Fairy Hill appears to be of the late C18 and is one of the few larger country houses in Gower. The symmetrical wings to east and west are probably additions of the early C19, perhaps added when Lady Barham became the occupier in 1814. A large rear wing on the west side is probably mid C19, as it is not indicated on the Tithe map outline (1838); the rear wing on the east side is a C20 addition. Fairy Hill was the principal home of one branch of the Lucas family before the rebuilding of Stouthall in the 1780s. In 1814 the present house was leased to Lady Barham, who was well known as a leader of early Methodism locally and who founded a number of chapels in Gower. It remained in the occupation her family until 1858. In the late C19 and early C20 it was the home of the Benson family, Starling Benson having made his fortune in industry in Penclawdd. Following a period of deterioration and finally sale in 1982 Fairy Hill was extensively renovated and is now a hotel.

Exterior

A simple Georgian country house of three storeys. The front elevation is of three windows, facing south to private grounds. Rough cast rendered. Slate roof with tile ridges and multi-flue end chimneys. The front fenestration is of constant widths and diminishing heights, but the ground storey may have been altered from ordinary into French windows. Four-pane C19 sash windows to the first storey, casement windows to the top storey. At the rear of the main range of the house, three original second-storey six-pane sash windows survive. At each end of the front elevation is a two storey extension with front parapet and with tripartite sash windows above and below. The main sashes of the latter windows each consist of three vertical panes. A low two-storey rear wing extends north at the west side of the house, rendered. Additional C19 ranges to west and a single storey flat-roofed hotel extension to the front. The two-storey wing extending north at the east side is part rendered. Its upper storey at east and north is faced in uncoursed stonework with brick surrounds to the windows. Twelve-pane sash windows with margin glazing above and below. A small flat-roofed porch to the east is now the main hotel entrance, with two Tuscan columns on plinths.

Reasons for Listing

A well-proportioned small Georgian country house, retaining its character notwithstanding large rear and one side additions.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Tyle House Farm
    At the southern corner of the Green at Burry Green. Also known as Tile House, Burry's Green or Burrys Green.
  • II Bethesda Presbyterian Chapel
    Prominently sited on the north side of the Green at Burry Green.
  • II Packhorse Bridge over Burry Pill
    In Cheriton Wood, on a footpath south west from Kittlehill
  • II Church of St George
    At the centre of the village of Reynoldston.
  • II Well in Robin's Lane
    At east side of lane, about 100 m south of the Post Office.
  • II Limekiln below Weobley Castle
    In a small valley 80m west of Weobley Castle, set back from the path from Weobley Castle Farm to the marshes; trace of track southwards from the kiln to join the path.
  • I Weobley Castle
    250m north of the minor road from Oldwalls to Landimore, on a scarp overlooking Llandimore Marsh and the Burry Estuary.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.