A Grade II Listed Building in Llanllechid, Gwynedd
Latitude: 53.1391 / 53°8'20"N
Longitude: -4.0288 / 4°1'43"W
OS Eastings: 264387
OS Northings: 362136
OS Grid: SH643621
Mapcode National: GBR 5T.6CTK
Mapcode Global: WH54P.2CTC
Entry Name: Milestone
Listing Date: 9 March 2000
Last Amended: 9 March 2000
Source ID: 22922
Building Class: Transport
Location: Situated on the eastern side of the A 5 approximately 320m south-east of Braich-ty-du; set directly on road partly built into low rubblestone field boundary wall.
Locality: Nant Ffrancon
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
One of a series of milestones erected on Thomas Telford's London to Holyhead road, which was established as a turnpike road between 1815 and 1830.
Limestone. A tapered post with chamfered edges and inset tapered top; cast-iron plate of same shape superscribed "HOLY-/ HEAD/ 33/ BANGOR/ 8/ C. CURIG/ 6M - 3F". Bench mark below cast-iron insert.
Reasons for Listing
Included for its special historic interest as a turnpike road milestone, a well-preserved example of the distinctive type associated with Thomas Telford's nationally important turnpike road.
Other nearby listed buildings
Situated in isolated position below the A 5 to the east of the Afon Ogwen just off track running south from Braich-ty-du; the cowhouse is set within its own small field system, the boundaries of which
Stable at Braich-ty-du
Situated approximately 4m south-west of the farm cottages at Braich-ty-du.
Situated on rough track in isolated position with its fambuidings below the A 5 to the east of the Afon Ogwen; the back wall of the building is cut into a high bank offering protection from the elemen
Pair of Cowhouses at Pentre Farm
Located directly to east of farmhouse at Pentre Farm on opposite side of road, below which they are set, the upper parts of their south-west gable ends being approximately at road level.
Remote roadside position on minor valley road running parallel with the A5 along the Ogwen valley; low rubblestone wall in front of farmhouse with stone-on-edge coping and iron gate and steps to centr
Stables at Pentre Farm
Situated on hillslope immediately to south of Pentre Farmhouse.
Cowhouse at Maes-Caradoc
Attached by short link section to south end of Maes-Caradoc from which it projects at right-angles to the front.
Remote roadside position on minor valley road running parallel with the A5 along the Ogwen valley; low rubblestone wall in front of right end of farmhouse with stone-on-edge coping to sides and iron g