This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.216 / 53°12'57"N
Longitude: -4.0851 / 4°5'6"W
OS Eastings: 260867
OS Northings: 370804
OS Grid: SH608708
Mapcode National: GBR 5R.1J4F
Mapcode Global: WH548.6FYC
Entry Name: Eglwys St Cross
Listing Date: 9 March 2000
Last Amended: 9 March 2000
Source ID: 22951
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Located on minor road junction approximately 0.5km east of Tal-y-bont; set in north-east corner of roughly square-shaped churchyard with several yew trees and low rubblestone wall, entered to north-ea
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Built in 1892 at the expense of the Penrhyn Estate on land given for the purpose by George Sholto Gordon Douglas-Pennant, second Baron Penrhyn. The architect was Thomas Dinham Atkinson of Cambridge with Owen Morris of Caernarfon the principal contractor. Atkinson (1864-1950) was to become a noted ecclesiastical architect, serving as architect to both Ely and Winchester cathedrals. He was also architect to Winchester College, while his best-known secular commissions were the Observatory and Library at Cambridge University. Eglwys St Cross is amongst his earliest commissions.
Parish church in essentially neo-Norman style but in its well-handled austerity and simple, high-quality detail displaying an understanding of the emerging Arts and Crafts movement. Nave, chancel, eastern bellcote, north porch and north transept. Slightly battered walls of irregularly coursed rubblestone without prominent quoining, using Anglesey limestone ashlar for detailing; slate roofs with coped verges on simple kneelers; well-detailed ferramenta to windows. Nave has three 2-light round-headed windows high in north wall and 4 on south side, with paired round-headed windows high in west wall; simple ashlar bellcote with twin round-headed openings to east gable. South wall of chancel has 2-light bar tracery window on west and 2 narrow round-headed windows tucked below eaves to east; high east window of 3 narrow round-headed windows (taller to centre) with continuous dripmould; simple quatrefoil above and stone cross to gable. Single round-headed window on north and doorway in angle with transept which has 4-light round-headed window with continuous dripmould in north wall and tapering circular chimney stack to west. North porch has round-headed outer doorway and stone cross with superscribed date "1892" to gable.
Simple, rather austere late C19 interior with plastered walls, splayed windows, trussed rafter roof to nave and panelled ceiling with horizontal boarding to chancel; finely jointed slate floors with timber boarding around pews. Slightly pointed wide chancel arch in 2 chamfered orders has plain responds and minimal capitals; low screen wall at top of 3 steps has very simple pulpit on north formed by wall being slightly higher and splayed towards nave at this point; neo-Norman piscina and sedilia on south wall of chancel. Late C19 fittings and furnishings largely intact, including nave pews and peg-jointed choir stalls; pipe organ (1895, restored 1988) in arch to north transept above panelled screen with panelled door; scrolled ironwork altar rails to raised sanctuary in memory of Owen Maelgwyn Roberts, killed in World War II (he is similarly commemorated in Llandygai Church). Stained glass in east window depicting Christ on the cross flanked by the Virgin and St John, designed by Edward Burne-Jones, with inscription below: "To the Glory of God, and in memory of George Sholto Gordon, Baron Penrhyn, founder of this Church. Born September 30th 1836, died March 10th 1907. This window was erected as a tribute of affection and esteem by the tenants of the Penrhyn Estate 1907". Marble tablet War memorial on north wall of nave.
Listed as an unaltered late C19 church of simple neo-Norman style, rather unusual for this late date but assured in its austerity and showing an understanding of the principles of the developing Arts and Crafts movement of the period; an early work of T Dinham Atkinson, a noted church architect.
Other nearby listed buildings