This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6159 / 51°36'57"N
Longitude: -3.765 / 3°45'53"W
OS Eastings: 277897
OS Northings: 192266
OS Grid: SS778922
Mapcode National: GBR H4.9HNZ
Mapcode Global: VH5GV.PNG2
Entry Name: Tabernacle Chapel
Listing Date: 21 March 2000
Last Amended: 21 March 2000
Source ID: 23019
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Located in a prominent position on the hillside overlooking the centre of Cwmavon. The vestry of 1931 is alongside.
County: Neath Port Talbot
Town: Port Talbot
Community: Cwmavon (Cwmafan)
Built-Up Area: Cwmavon
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Dated 1873. Preceding chapels on the site were built in 1837 and 1854.
Classical style gable-entry chapel constructed of snecked Pennant sandstone with rusticated Bathstone dressings under a slate covered roof. Triangular pediment cut by full-height glorification arch. Wide moulded cornice also forming impost band, from which the round arch rises without rustication. The cornice bears the engraving 'Tabernacle / Chapel 1873'. The bay within the arch is slightly inset and contains a pair of doorways. Both have moulded round heads with high vermiculated keystones on a moulded impost band with plain pilasters and tall bases. Wood panelled double doors with segmental heads and overlights containing circles. Above the doors is a Venetian window with continuous sill band supported on 4 corbels and impost band. Each arch has a round head with vermiculated keystone in the same style as the doorways. Each window has 2 round-headed lights, an ogee motif above the central window and small circles above the flanking windows. Under the glorification arch is a roundel reading Calvinistic Methodist, within which are 4 small circles. Tall windows flank the glorification arch in the same style as the flanking lights of the central window. Sill band and impost band continue across the facade from the central window.
Roughcast side walls with boarded eaves containing 4 tall round headed sash windows with pink margin glazing. To the far L of the S side is a lean-to structure with boarded door. The rear has a boarded roundel in the apex and a large organ chamber with pitched roof. Tall windows in each side of chamber as elsewhere. To the R is a small lean-to.
Vestibule with panelled doors at an angle lead into the chapel, between which is a stained glass window depicting a dove. Side stairs lead to the gallery. Three-sided gallery on narrow fluted cast iron columns with foliate capitals. Wooden gallery front with panels containing open ironwork with scrolls and foliage. Small pilasters between panels and round clock in centre. Handrail with open circles to underside. Deep plaster ceiling cornice with egg and dart moulded frieze. Ornate ceiling rose with foliate decoration. Timber boarded surround to ceiling with circles to centre and sides. At the opposite end of the chapel is a large wooden arch within a flat-headed surround which reaches the ceiling cornice. Fluted pilasters with large imposts and square bases support a moulded arch. The arch contains the organ, around which is Art Nouveau glass and 2 half-lit panelled doors. In front of the organ is a wooden pulpit with openwork front, reached by curved steps to each side, with moulded swept handrails and widely spaced balusters. Set fawr of openwork panels including large circles. Panelled pews with gates.
Listed as a particularly good example of this chapel type, with central glorification arch. In a prominent position in Cwmavon.
Other nearby listed buildings