This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6597 / 51°39'34"N
Longitude: -3.8486 / 3°50'54"W
OS Eastings: 272232
OS Northings: 197276
OS Grid: SS722972
Mapcode National: GBR H1.6LP6
Mapcode Global: VH4K5.7KS0
Entry Name: Bethania Chapel
Listing Date: 29 March 2000
Last Amended: 29 March 2000
Source ID: 23063
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Set back from and above the road behind a grassed forecourt with railings to the street.
County: Neath Port Talbot
Community: Coedffranc (Coed-ffranc)
Built-Up Area: Neath
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Built in 1907 by Lloyd & Martyn, architects of Swansea. The contractor was Ogley David & Sons. The present organ was installed in 1935.
A free-style chapel of coursed rock-faced sandstone with red sandstone dressings, and a slate roof. The 3-bay front has a deep moulded sill band below the round-headed upper windows. Below this level the angle pilasters are rusticated, while above this level they are panelled. A pair of doorways to the centre have round heads and double doors with fielded panels under Y-tracery overlights. In the wide jamb between these doorways is an engraved foundation tablet. The outer bays have 2-light stone-mullioned windows under flat heads. At the upper level the windows are 2-light with wooden mullions and circles with radial glazing forming tracery lights. They comprise single windows in the outer bays and a triple window to the centre. The pedimented gable is defined by a red-sandstone band acting as the cornice. A blind oculus is engraved 'Bethania 1907' and is bisected by a full-width inscription band reading 'Addoldy yr Annibynwyr'.
The roughcast R side wall is 5-window and has segmental-headed windows at the lower level and round-headed windows above, all replaced in original openings. The L side wall is similar but retains its original wooden glazing bars. The rear has a narrow and shallow lean-to in the centre and a lean-to on its L side against the rear wall of the chapel, that incorporates a boarded door.
The vestibule has a 3-light panel opposite the main doorway with foliage in coloured glass. The same motif is repeated in half-lit double doors that lead into the main chapel. This has a ceiling panelled with heavy ribs, decorated with 3 ceiling roses, and with a moulded cornice. The windows have shafts to the rere arches. A 3-sided raked gallery is carried on tapering cast iron columns, the upper half of which are fluted, and foliage capitals. The gallery front has cast iron panels with blind key and foliage friezes. The gallery returns on the 4th side behind the pulpit but does not continue the full width. The organ is placed here between fluted pilasters and a moulded lintel. Moulded balusters are to the front of the organ recess. Vestry doors with fielded panels flank the pulpit. The pulpit is square with 3 round-headed panels flanked by shafts with shaft rings. The flanking steps have elaborate and large moulded balusters and newels. Behind the pulpit is a reredos of fielded panels. The set fawr has a back with fielded panels. Numbered pews have moulded ends.
Listed for architectural interest as a well-designed Edwardian chapel with a fine internal gallery and other fittings.
Other nearby listed buildings