This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6365 / 52°38'11"N
Longitude: -3.9738 / 3°58'25"W
OS Eastings: 266529
OS Northings: 306131
OS Grid: SH665061
Mapcode National: GBR 8X.6VNJ
Mapcode Global: WH570.XZXP
Entry Name: Mile Marker
Listing Date: 10 April 2000
Last Amended: 10 April 2000
Source ID: 23191
Building Class: Transport
Location: The post is set in the verge at the top of the hill to the W of the village, opposite the farm road to Rhiwerfa.
Traditional County: Merionethshire
The Merionethshire Turnpike Trust was first established in 1777, and had 5 districts, this route being in the Dolgellau & Mawddach area, which was absorbed into the larger Dolgelley Mawddwy and Towyn district in 1851, and was finally dissolved after 1875. The mile marker post was probably erected by the turnpike trust in c1827 when the route from Dolgellau to Towyn was remade .
Made of cast iron, of triangular section rising from a moulded plinth to an enlarged top sloping back to an edge roll moulding. Raised cast lettering reading, on the left TOWYN / 6; on the right, DOLGELLEY / 14.
Included as a good and well preserved example of the C19 cast iron mile markers of the type frequently used in the earlier decades of the C19; and one of the most complete series of such posts to survive.
Other nearby listed buildings