This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.2172 / 53°13'2"N
Longitude: -4.098 / 4°5'52"W
OS Eastings: 260012
OS Northings: 370963
OS Grid: SH600709
Mapcode National: GBR 5R.170P
Mapcode Global: WH548.0DVF
Entry Name: Gate piers, gates, walls and railings to churchyard
Listing Date: 24 May 2000
Last Amended: 24 May 2000
Source ID: 23399
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Enclosing the churchyard of St Tegai's Church.
Community: Llandygai (Llandygái)
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
The medieval churchyard appears originally to have been roughly circular and this is still discernible, despite the slate-fenced extension to the south-east of 1834. Most of the present enclosure, and certainly the gate piers, gates and railings, dates from 1853, the year in which the church was restored and the churchyard extended to the west. The yew avenue was probably also planted at this time.
The gate piers and gates stand directly west of the west porch to St Tegai's Church with between the two a broad yew-lined avenue, defined to both north and south by a low slate-slab topped wall with pointed iron railings and unusual axe-shaped standards; gates at east end lead to Talgai Hall and The Old School House. The gate piers at the eastern end of the avenue are of Anglesey limestone ashlar and have 2 tiers of trefoil-headed blind tracery panels with moulded plinths and shaped capping flanked by quadrant walls, also of ashlar, ending in lower and plainer piers; heavy ramped wooden double gates between inner piers have 2 tiers of trefoiled arches with hollow spandrels and iron-spiked tops. South of the gate piers the wall is of rubblestone with slate coping and iron railings as in the avenue to the church entrance and follows curve of lane to south-east. To the east of the church is the park wall to Penrhyn Castle and the churchyard extension is defined on its eastern side by a slate slab and wire fence.
Included on account of the churchyard's strong contribution to the setting of St Tegai's church and the excellent quality of the gates, gate piers and railings.
Other nearby listed buildings