History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Capel Ebenezer, with vestry and front railed forecourt

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanegryn, Gwynedd

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6283 / 52°37'41"N

Longitude: -4.0675 / 4°4'3"W

OS Eastings: 260158

OS Northings: 305400

OS Grid: SH601054

Mapcode National: GBR 8S.7H50

Mapcode Global: WH575.H69D

Entry Name: Capel Ebenezer, with vestry and front railed forecourt

Listing Date: 26 July 2000

Last Amended: 26 July 2000

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 23759

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: The chapel stands at the E end of the village facing the large paved area at the start of the road to Glanymorfa-uchaf. Unusually, it is attached by vestries to the Cavinistic Methodist Chapel.

County: Gwynedd

Town: Tywyn

Community: Llanegryn

Community: Llanegryn

Traditional County: Merionethshire

Find accommodation in
Llanegryn

History

The chapel for the Independents in Llanegryn was first built in 1816 and enlarged in 1829. It was then rebuilt in 1839 and was remodelled again in 1922. The present building would appear to be of 1839 but altered externally later, probably in 1922 when the front was rendered. The interior is late C19 in character although may be a traditional style adopted in 1922.

Exterior

Built of stone, pebbledashed to the front. Slate roof. Rendered round-headed architraves to doors and windows. The doors are set at the ends of the facade, between which are three round-headed windows with margin glazing, the centre light slightly wider. Horizontal string course at the base of the gable, which contains a roundel inscribed with the building dates. Bargeboarded verge. Similar windows to the sides.

The forecourt is enclosed by a low rubble wall supporting cast iron railings with fleur terminals, set on a slate sill. The central pair of gates are cross braced, and have dog rails with similar terminals.

On the left, a single storey range formerly containing the vestry, now a dwelling, the front elevation having a lower gabled porch attached at right angles containing a boarded door forming a side entrance, and 2 small margin-glazed round-headed sash windows. Red brick stack in the slate roof, which also has 5 roof lights. A large 2-light window each side of the front extension.

Interior

The building is of rectangular plan with the end doors on the facade opening into internal lobbies. Pulpit opposite the facade, set against a round-arched niche, and having panels on each side. The pulpit is panelled with the centre breaking forward. Dado cornice to the body of the hall. The ceiling is divided by diagonal ribs converging on a central circular ventilator.

Reasons for Listing

Included as an element in an unusual architectural composition where two chapels are linked by vestries forming a significant element in the townscape of the village.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.