This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7221 / 51°43'19"N
Longitude: -3.8489 / 3°50'55"W
OS Eastings: 272387
OS Northings: 204219
OS Grid: SN723042
Mapcode National: GBR H1.2LMC
Mapcode Global: VH4JS.7ZM6
Entry Name: Tabernacle Congregational Chapel, including forecourt gates and wall, and attached vestries.
Listing Date: 3 August 2000
Last Amended: 13 March 2003
Source ID: 23867
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: About 400m NE of centre of Pontardawe
County: Neath Port Talbot
Built-Up Area: Pontardawe
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Chapel of 1880, enlarged 1904. Architect William George of Ystalyfera, builder John Griffiths of Pontardawe.
Chapel in rock-faced brown stone in low courses; freestone dressings (brick dressings to sides), slate roof. Gabled Gothic front with end buttresses and pinnacles. Quatrefoil in gable; central doorway with windowq above of 2 lights with quatrefoil; tall 2-light round-headed window to each side (hardwood glazing). Forecourt enclosed by low stone wall with cast-iron railings with fleur-de-lys finials; iron gatepiers with semi-circular overthrow with similar finials; cast-iron gates in matching style. Sides of chapel have windows at 2 levels, round-arched over camber-headed. To rear, at right angles, vestry/hall blockwith flat-roofed kitchen block behind.
Very fine unaltered interior. Lobby with flanking stairs to gallery; stained glass on chapel side is good War Memorial window (1949). Flat boarded and ribbed ceiling to body of chapel with 3 elaborate roses, decorative vents to sides, and classicising cornice. Fine gallery on iron columns runs round all 4 sides, dropping behind pulpit and in front of organ; wooden gallery frontal with arcading and bracketing; clock opposite pulpit. To rear, organ by Brinley and Foster with exposed pipes in decorative case; all original wooden seating at gallery level, and also to body of chapel. Octagonal pulpit flanked by stairs with iron balustrading. Behind body of chapel, Deacon's room and Vestry/Schoolroom block with unaltered stage, glass screen to kitchen, open roof with iron ties.
Late C19 and early C20 chapel with particularly fine unaltered interior.
Other nearby listed buildings